PROLOGUE

The extravagantly decorated room was bright with candles and yet the energy of the room was grim. In that room, I sat to the side of my mother's bed, trying my best to hold back the tears but ultimately failing. People came and left as they gave their final goodbyes to my mother. Through it all, I stayed by her side, refusing to be apart in case god deemed to take her away while I was not prepared.

As the final visitor left the room, I stared at my mother's lifeless eyes as I grasped her hand to my cheek. The doctor felt her pulse weakening and I could read it from his eyes that I only had moments. I begged god to return the warmth to my mother's body as she looked at me, guilt stridden, with tears in her eyes. It is now our turn to say goodbye.

"I'm sorry I couldn't be a better mother to you, Eveline... Please... forgive me. I couldn't do it. I couldn't bring him back. It's all my fault."

She cried out. I choked back a sob as I tried to soothe her. Even in her last moments, mother thought of him. She thought of the man who left us all those years ago. It was her biggest regrets in life. The fact that she could not offer me a complete family.

"You have done no wrong, mother! Please, don't say that! You have cared for me in the best way you could. I will forever be grateful for everything you have given me."

I kissed her coarse hands as tenderly as I could but even I could not help but to squeeze her hands tighter as I felt her grip weakening.

"I love you, Eveline... You are my pride and joy..."

My mother muttered with a weak smile. I nodded with a small, sad grin, tears flowing down as I listened to her last words. I squeezed her hand closer to my chest.

"I am tired now... I need to rest... I.... love you...."

She murmured as she closed her eyes and when I felt her hand go limp, at that moment I knew I would never see her beautiful green eyes again. I looked at the doctor standing on the other side of her bed, he nodded gravely, as he confirmed my mother's passing. Gently, I placed her hand on to her chest and kissed my mother's forehead for the final time.

"I love you too, mother. May you rest peacefully in the god's embrace."

As I stepped back, the head butler, Clement, laid a veil atop my mother covering her from my view. I could see in Clement's face traces of tears that he had attempted to wipe away. Behind him, my mother's personal maids stood red faced and tears still flowing for their departed master. The head priest stepped forward to recite the prayers for my mother and I left the room.

From this moment on, I was the lady of the house and that meant I had work to do. I hurried towards my mother's office while Gina, my personal maid raced after me who did not falter in my steps. I could not. There was a lot to do. I needed to relay the news to the Emperor and our relatives. I needed to handle the preparations for the funeral. I needed to inform the academy and request for a longer leave of absence.

"Milady, please!"

Gina  called out as she caught up to me. I hastened my steps and then my mother's last words came to mind and I remembered. It caused me to pause abruptly. I looked back at Gina in a panic.

"I need to contact him. I need to tell him that mother is gone. His wife is dead. He needs to be informed."

Gina's eyebrows furrowed in worry as she saw her mistress in a moment of disarray.

"We will contact him, milady. We will also handle the invitations. You... you need to rest. I'm sure this is a lot to take in."

Gina replied with a grim face. Her hand reached out for my shoulders but I shook them off. She frowned and looked at me with worry. I looked at her, blankly.

"No, I'm the lady of the house now. I need to oversee the preparations. I'm the only one now."

"We are by your side milady. We are here to help. You are still so young. So, please... allow yourself to grieve."

Before I realised it, Gina's arms were around me. I flinched once I saw her arms reaching out. I could see her sad smile at my reaction and her hands squeezed my arms in support.

"You are not alone, milady. I am by your side. Everything will be alright."

My tense body relaxed as I felt myself be engulfed in Gina's arms. At once, I felt my emotions return and I once again became a sobbing mess.

"I'm not ready, Gina. I'm not ready! I still need her!"

I felt my knees weaken and I slumped to the floor crying. Gina, held me in her arms, soothing this crying child and all I could do was sit on that floor, wailing in sorrow without caring about who might see me. At that moment, I wasn't Eveline Shaw, the noble daughter of the Shaw ducal house, I was just a 16 year old girl, who lost the only parent she had ever known.