30

Luke knew that he'd really fucked up when Ashley didn't talk to him at school that Monday. She didn't talk to him on Tuesday, either, or Wednesday.

Luke didn't even see why she was mad. He was scared and inexperienced and Ashley should have known that enough not to just blurt out that she loved him. Sure, running away from a girl after they say that they love you is not the best choice a person could make either, but it was no reason for Ashley to give Luke the silent treatment.

Besides, Luke wanted to be the one to say I love you first.

It was Thursday afternoon and Luke was walking down the street, his headphones plugged in and playing Taylor Swift (although he was in such a bad mood that even Taylor couldn't help him). Luke kept his hands in his pockets to shield them from the cold, and every once and a while he would let out a big sigh just so he could see his breath in front of him.

Luke missed his girlfriend. He missed eating lunch with her in the library and kissing her against the lockers between classes and whispering dirty things in her ear during English that made her laugh. He missed when she would drive him home and play the Taylor Swift CD and then cuddle in bed with Luke and watch movies until Luke fell asleep on her shoulder. Luke had fucked up so bad.

His music was interrupted by his phone ringing and Luke let out a big groan, because it seemed like Luke's Taylor Swift time was always interrupted somehow. He answered the phone, keeping his headphone in his ears so he didn't need to remove his hands from his pockets.

"Hello?" Luke asked. He had no idea who was calling, since his phone was still in his pocket as well.

"Hey, it's me." Michael said, and Luke rolled his eyes again. Ashley had probably told Michael what happened and now Michael was going to come back and call Luke stupid for running away.

"Hi." Luke sighed.

"Where are you?" Michael asked. He sounded upset with Luke, he probably was, and Luke really didn't want to deal with this right now. He had cookies waiting for him at home, he couldn't be bothered with something like this.

"I don't know, where are you?" Luke countered. He was really walking down his block, trying not to slip again on the thin layer of ice that covered the sidewalk.

"I'm in the car with your girlfriend." Michael chuckled.

"Get out." Luke said quickly. He stopped walking, skidding on a piece of ice and almost falling over.

"Get out? Of a moving car?" Michael questioned innocently, and Luke swore he could hear Ashley laughing in the background. God, he missed her laugh so much.

"Yeah, just jump out." Luke snapped. "I hate you, why are you in the car with her?"

"She saw me after my last period class and offered me a ride home!" Michael defended himself, which still didn't make Luke feel much better. He hated when Michael and Ashley were alone together, he always thought that something was going to happen between them.

"Well you didn't have to accept the offer." Luke pouted.

"Come on, Luke, don't act like this." Michael said, letting out a small sigh. "We just stopped at the McDonald's drive-thru so I could get some nuggets and now we're going home. I'm going to go into my house and she'll also go into my house."

"Michael!" Luke whined.

"I'm kidding, I'm kidding!" Michael laughed, and this time Luke was sure that he heard Ashley in the background. "Ashley is going to go back to her own house, don't worry."

"Why did you call me? To rub this in my face?" Luke questioned. He didn't see a point to this conversation and Luke wasn't sure why he was still on the phone, any sane person probably would have hung up on Michael by now.