today, tomorrow, and every day after

thank you to @syriacus my first comm, and perhaps the sweetest person around. This is fluff, which, as you might know, is not my typical type of story, but I hope this is cute anyway. Heads up for pregnancy (I know that's not everyone's thing lol).
-

the fifth year after

She's beautiful, you thought with sunshine in your eyes as you watched your daughter run in the tall grass. Victoria (affectionately called Tori) was your first child, so you and Eli had applied ample sunscreen and bug spray so she could play safely. The three of you were picnicking in the afternoon sun with the smell of soft autumn playing in the air. Leaves danced with your daughter in the most idyllic way. Honestly? Luck had rained down upon you in droves, good energies and the happiest of days sat all around you in this perfect world you had created with Eli.

the third year after

He was reading to her again, which was adorable. She would only go to sleep when she heard his voice, which was really sweet, but admittedly made you a little jealous. She clearly liked you both, but her dad was her main comfort.

You were glad Eli wasn't a shitty dad—thats always a possibility—finding out that the man you married isn't as into parenting as he thought he was.

Eli was so loving, both to you and to Tori.

the day of

It was an intense indescribable pain, but maybe it was worth it. Maybe if you looked into the eyes of your daughter—the first living, breathing, human proof of your love—it was worth it. Was it wrong to project a little? You saw in her a better childhood than what you had. You saw everything you've been through—all the pain all the healing. You worked so hard and now she was here, warm in your arms, wrapped in a blanket. Eli stood beside you, crying more than the baby. You giggled a little at his sentimentalism, but you felt it, too. you were crying, just like him.

She was beautiful, and she'd be happy. You'd make sure of it.

two months before

You cried and cried and cried. You knew it was too much, but you were sobbing.

Just the slight raise of tone in Eli's voice horrified you. You weren't sure how to explain your fear to him—the way he just yelled echoing back to times you'd faced long before you ever met him.

He didn't mean to scare you, but he did. The two of you were arguing about something truly stupid, and then he... yelled. And it was over for you. You didn't want to say you were 'triggered,' but that was absolutely what you were. You were freaking out when you didn't need to. Eli would never ever hurt you like the people in your past did, but despite knowing that you felt a surge of concern for you and the baby inside of you.

"...hey," he sat down beside you, keeping his distance as to not overwhelm you. When you said nothing, but lifted your head to look at him, he continued, "That wasn't okay for me to do. I'm sorry."

You nodded. You felt the usual 'it's okay' comment sitting in your throat, but it wasn't okay. You didn't feel okay.

So you just said, "Thank you for apologizing." It felt petty to say that, but you kept your tone in check, despite your cracked wavering voice.

"Of course," he nodded, looking at his knees. "I really—I'm not sure how to make this better, but I can give you some space if you need it. The argument was dumb... we both know that. I'll do my best to never let that happen again."

He was kinda perfect, despite his flaws. You were relieved to hear this—and you believed he meant what he said.

You stuck your pinkie out and replied, "promise?"