Underneath the Flowering Vines

It was a lifetime of masking and acting that got Yejun to the point of believing it. Faking sadness around his grieving love ones, forcing a frown when a taboo subject is brought up. Why he couldn't display his true feelings was a question pushed to the back of his mind courtesy of his impeding worry that people would look down on him.

Today marked his eighteenth birthday. Just one more year with the burden of existing weighing down on him like an elephant on a tightrope. Why was he there if he just scraped dirt over anything he actually stood for? The thought burned his insides, stirred awake his talkative companion who resided in his mind. "Good morrrrning, Junnie! Perfect day for some blues, eh?"

Just like every time, Yejun deemed himself not in the mood to answer. Also just like every time, this spurred Little Green Monster (as the boy dubbed it) to whine and kick against the walls of his head until Yejun sighed in despair. "Go away, you gremlin."

"Why ruin the fun so quickly? I just want to hang out!~"

"No." The wind howled with his internal response, drawing goosebumps on his exposed skin. Like a hummingbird with a broken wing, his body held a fragile balance on the edge of his house's roof, legs dangling over a considerable distance that most people would have run from. As he breathed with the sky, Yejun tugged his jacket over himself to ward off the heavy atmosphere. He knew it would likely rain, but that put not a damper on his resolve to remain perched in place.

Surprisingly, the Monster brought more silence to the world, not that Yejun wasn't grateful for it. He affirmed that he just needed a moment to think, to reflect. This was the only time he was ever truly sad, after all, and he planned on cherishing the feeling for as long as the dawn of his birthday prevented the sun from rising.

Happy birthday dear son <333 (i'm older by a month hush)