Chapter 4

Royal Advisor Alexa Kodaline of Hosephia

Pearlreach, Vrinian

Waiting at the docks, Alexa scans over the letter again she received from Jemma. Apparently, she is needed immediately, and transport would be sent with the specific purpose of collecting her and bringing her to Hosephia safely. She is glad there would be no other passengers on board, other than her two children, because she feels the size of a whale. Even though Brighane is dead, she still gets suspicious glances and whispers behind her back. Her children will always be Brighane's blood, even the one growing inside her. No matter what, they will always have to face that knowledge. Still, she has taken steps to keep the tainted name of Rossi from darkening their skies. Thanks to Jemma, along with Alexa's last name, the two children and the unborn one, have been changed to Kodaline. With Betta eventual marriage to one of the bachelors following her about, the Rossi name will die out with Henry, though Alexa is sure that he might even change it.

Alexa gazes at her two children for a moment, as they chat amongst themselves in anticipation of the coming trip. Morgan is approaching her tenth birthday and losing her childish features. Her dark hair flows in a long braid down her back and her black eyes hold a joy that was rarely seen in years past. She is tall for her age, but brilliant and elegant. Luca, two years younger than his sister, is the average size of his friends, with kind dark eyes and an ever-present smile on his still childlike face. Alexa had not given much thought to either of her children being royalty when Brighane was close to obtaining the title, and they had not felt quite right for the titles of that of children of a baron and baroness. However, with Alexa now a Royal Advisor to Queen Jemma, though they held no title, her children could be given opportunities they would not have been offered before. Other than Penelope, Alexa's children will be the only children in the castle. One day, perhaps Morgan and Luca could be advisors themselves, or even guards should they wish to be trained.

The sound of the waves calms Alexa, like crickets in the moonlight. It is approaching sunset and has been a week since she received the letter from Jemma. The date and time are specific and unchangeable, with strict instructions to get on the ship bound for Hosephia. When they reached the dock an hour early, there were no waiting ships headed that direction, and so they must wait. As time wears on, Alexa pulls on a heavy cloak, anticipating the cooler temperatures that will be to come on board the ship.

"Mum." Morgan tugs ever so slightly on Alexa's cloak, pulling her attention with it. "Is that the ship?" She points to a near docked ship that had approached silently behind them. The only sound giving it away is the footsteps of a dockhand securing the tiedowns. It is a new ship, with a red tint to the dark stained wood and giant white sails being rolled up and tied.

For a moment she is relieved the ship has finally arrived, and then she reads the name of the ship painted in a yellow-gold script on the front side of it. "Oh, I hope not." She mumbles and knows her children look up at her at the sudden change in their mother's mood. If this is not who she thinks it is, it is a heck of a coincidence, but if it is than how dare he name the ship after her. Of course, with the ship being named Alexandra, it could be someone entirely different, but very few people know her full birth name.

Like an ape on a vine, a man swings off the ship and lands on the dock with great practice. Alexa groans to herself and momentarily feels like punching him. It is Leo. "Please tell me this is all a horrific coincidence and you are not the ship taking me to Hosephia."

"Do you want me to lie?" He questions with a hint of humor but still trying to keep himself professional. Alexa lets out a deep breath and motions for the waiting servants to start boarding their things. "For whatever it is worth, I didn't know who I was sent here to get. I didn't imagine it would be you, considering I dropped you off in Zistus."