Chapter 1: New York, New Beguinnings

"I miss you and Quinn so much." Brittany whined into her cellphone.

"I miss you too, but it's only been 2 weeks since we saw each other, B." Tina replied.

Brittany sighed, "I know, I know. Anyways, are you excited to go to Green?"

"I think you mean Brown, but yes." Tina laughed.

"I still really miss Mike." Mike was Tina's boyfriend of 3 years. He got accepted into Joffrey Ballet Academy in Chicago, last year. They both decided to 'take a break' leading up to Mike leaving.

"Titi, it's been over a year. We have to let go of some things, even if we don't like it." Brittany said as if she wasn't guilty of the same thing.

"I know, I know." Tina groaned. "But you miss Sam still."

Brittany sighed loudly. Sam and Brittany had met first when she was a junior and Sam was a sophomore, they started dating soon after, and had a really strong bond. He was the all-star wide receiver on the McKinley Titans, while Brittany was captain of the Cheerios.

They were in love, she thinks she still is. Sam broke up with her the day of graduation just over a year ago. He tried to do the right thing since he had gotten a scholarship to the University of Louisville, and Brittany was going to be thousands of miles away, but all it did was hurt her.

"Yeah, I know." Brittany admitted.

"Well, forget him. You're in the city of love!" Tina enthusiastically assured Brittany.

"Isn't that Paris?" Brittany giggled.

"Whatever." Tina grumbled. "Either way, I know there's plenty of guys and girls in New York dying to meet you."

Brittany's bisexuality had been something she'd been fairly open about. She still hadn't ever been with a girl, it was just something she knew that was inside of her.

"While we're on the topic of New York, how's that apartment of yours?" Tina cheered. "My back still hurts from lifting all those boxes." Tina giggled.

"Honestly, it's way better than being a math monkey at MIT." Brittany smiled looking around at the brightly lit apartment."

"Who knew you would love Bushwick so much," Tina giggled "But I gave that pepper spray to you for a reason, B."

Tina had given Brittany a small container of pepper spray disguised as a lighter while she and Quinn were helping Brittany set up her apartment. Brittany liked that her best friend was looking out for her, she just didn't want to have to hurt anyone.

"I gotta go, tell Quinn to text me if you talk to her. Love you B."

"Okay, love you too Titi."

XxXx

"All right kids, show me what you got. Ready? Five, six, seven, eight! "

Brittany stood up from stretching and started doing plies across the room with everyone else.

"Welcome to Julliard. This is Dance 101, my name's Cassandra July and if you are not suffering from severe body dysmorphia, then you don't want it enough." Ms July yelled as she tapped her staff on the ground with the rhythm of the music blasting on the speakers.

"Welcome back, Schwimmer!"

Brittany turns her head to see Cassandra talking, or rather mocking, a short, brunette girl, with a rather large nose.

"Hello to you too Cassie." the girl replies, an annoyed grin sitting on her face.

Brittany decides to mind her own business and moves to the bar to start stretching more. Just then the short, brunette who Ms July was just making fun of goes beside Brittany.

"Hey do mind if I stretch here? My name's Rachel Berry, upperclassman." the girl says.

"I don't mind, I'm Brittany." Brittany offered her hand out to a high five, which Rachel smiled at before slapping her hand with her own.

"Are you an underclassman, I haven't seen you before?" Rachel asked as she studied Brittany's face.

"Yeah, I am." Brittany smiled. She thought most New Yorkers were supposed to be rude, Ms July for example, but she liked Rachel, always good to make new friends she thought.

"So Brittany, where you from?" Rachel asked as she stretched her leg.

"Lima, Ohio." Brittany answered. "What about you?"

"Born and raised in New York." Rachel smiled. "How a-"

"Schwimmer! Less talking, more stretching that Grandma bod." Ms July barked.

"Got it, Cassie." Rachel mumbled, rolling her eyes. "How about we continue this conversation over some Starbucks? My treat, after class?"

"Yeah sure," Brittany smiled.

XxXx

"So that's what I'm doing," Rachel concluded after yapping the entire 30 minutes it took for her and Brittany to get to the Starbucks. She practically had told her life story to Brittany who found out that Rachel has two gay dads, is an aspiring Broadway actress, majoring in both music and dance.

She also just happened to live in the same building as her. She's just two floors down, on floor five, and lives with her 'best gay' Kurt and a girl named Santana.

"Brittany! Rachel!" The barista called out as he placed their drinks on the counter.

"So, you've been in New York for a few weeks, what do you think so far?" Rachel asked, sipping on her latte, as the two walked back to the subway.

Brittany shrugged "It's pretty cool, but for a city called New York, everything seems pretty old." downing her hot chocolate.

"Yeah it is." Rachel agreed laughing. "I know I just met you today, but how about you come join me and my roomies for dinner. Kurt is an amazing chef!"

Brittany really didn't have any plans other than ordering a pizza and watching reruns of Woody Woodpecker cartoons all night so she agreed to go over to Rachel's.

"Just a warning, Santana's a bit of -how do I say this nicely- a bed hopping bitch." Rachel sighed as she hit '5' and the elevator ascended slowly. Once the silver doors of the elevator opened, Rachel walked towards the door marked '519'.

"So here's my retreat." Rachel said, opening the door of her apartment. Brittany walked in and was welcomed by a delicious scent.

"Bonjour, Madam Rachel." Kurt called from further into the apartment.

"That's Kurt." Rachel tells Brittany as she walks towards the kitchen.

"How was cla-" Kurt pauses mid sentence when his eyes fall onto Brittany, who was just behind Rachel.

"Turned into a Lopez, huh?" Kurt smirked.

"Haha, so funny. This is Brittany, she's in my classes. And no I'm not going to sleep with her, Kurt." Rachel laughed.

"Where is Satan, anyways?" Kurt asked, throwing random spices into whatever delicious smelling food was in the pan.

"Satan?" Brittany innocently gasped. Kurt smirked, while Rachel lightly chuckled before answering her question.

"It's Santana. The girl that lives with u-, well she doesn't really live with us. She's always off sleeping with some girl." Rachel sighed.

"Well who's hungry?" Kurt gestured towards the pan.