Chapter 3

__________

__________

President Snow's mansion glowed a bleached white as Nastasia approached, right hand hooked around Brutus's elbow while he escorted her inside.

"Certainly knows how to throw a party doesn't he?" Brutus commented beside her, drinking in all the splendour with a familiar thirst in his eyes. The pale light from the patio lights reflected against his skin, and signature shaven head, making him look like some form of towering beast. He was a fair bit taller than her even though Nastasia wasn't short at five-foot-ten. Almost brute-ish one would say.

"You should've had him plan your wedding."

Brutus replied with a smug tone, "He did, it was quite the affair. You must've been too busy playing with knives in your nursery."

She glanced sideways as they walked the last few steps to the entrance, music beginning to hum as it leaked out from the doors. "You don't need to remind me you're old Brutus."

He laughed lowly at her tease, "When I've got you on my arm I don't think it matters."

Nastasia smiled. Well he wasn't wrong. Her prep team, true to their word, had done an excellent job, dressing her in a floor length green diamanté gown. Cut-outs ran from her shoulders down to her hip, lacing holding the front and back together, but leaving enough room for her arms and a revealing glimpse of the sides of her chest. Her date was in a much simpler black suit, only a green handkerchief matching the two together.

The doors flicked open as if by command and he turned to face her. "After you darling."

The event was just as grand inside as it proposed from its exterior. She'd visited it many times in the past several years, but every time it somehow managed to seem more extravagant, more full of riches and obscenities than the last. Indoors the marble was less blinding, the colour of bone, with roman-style columns pillaring the vast ceiling that covered the ballroom. Chandeliers of crystals spat light in flecks over the guests, like snowflakes were falling down. This year the colour scheme was a deep red, with everything from napkins to the landing carpet on the balcony coordinated. The roses were red too of course. They were everywhere, the perfume ever-present to Nastasia's senses. It made her want to vomit.

Brutus led her along the edge of the dance-floor, making their way through celebrities and a number of victors. They had made it halfway across the room when she spotted the duo Bruno was looking for.

"Gloss, Cashmere, how are my favourite murderous siblings?" He called.

The siblings looked up from their discussion and beamed. They could only be described as stunning, with matching blond hair and blue eyes, deeply set in tanned skin. Lovers of all things that glittered they were wearing complimentary jewelled attires tonight. Gloss in a dark suit trimmed with sapphires, and Cashmere a midnight blue evening gown with sapphires circling her neck like a enormous necklace.