26. It Can Go Both Ways

I sighed and turned side to side in the mirror. For some reason, I was so picky for what I'd wear to my 'date'.

Today, I had changed into a jean skirt that ended right before my knees with a tighter fitting red T-shirt that had a V neckline, showing off a bit of cleavage but not so much to make me uncomfortable. I picked out a pair of earrings and had my hair back in a braid.
I'd put my hair in a hat so that it wasn't as noticeable when my hair changed colors. I pulled out a pair of short brown boots to pair with the ensemble. Then, of course, I had my necklace around my neck. I never took it off.

I shrugged. Looks good to me, who cares what anyone else thinks?

'You care what he thinks.' A voice in my brain thought. I sighed and walked out the door, grabbing my baseball hat on the way out.

I hopped down the stairs, slipping my hair into the baseball cap.

"Who's ready for our field trip?" I called.

"Me me me me!" Sam exclaimed, waving his hand in the air. I laughed.

"You are such a child." Sylvia mumbled.

"We are all children at heart, Sylvia." Dax said, touching his chest.

"Is that your favorite line or something?" Z — I mean... Ry asked.

Dax nodded with a grin plastered on his face. I glanced at the time.

"Where's Quint? We should head out soon."

JJ shrugged. "I'll go check if he's coming. I'll meet you guys at the car."

"Speaking of which, we should probably take a couple different cars. We'll look weird." Sylvia said. I sighed, rolling my eyes.

"Alright. I'll ride with Axel and Sam."

"Then JJ, Dax, and Quint can ride with us." Sylvia replied, sure of herself.

"I guess we'll meet you there." Axel said, wrapping an arm around my shoulders. Sam wrapped an arm around my shoulders also, making an Ash sandwich.

"You're squishing me!" I moaned as we squeezed through the front door.

"We can't squish you! You're a diamond, virtually impossible to break." Sam said as Axel unlocked the red mustang we were going to ride in.

"You are such a suck up." I laughed, rolling my eyes.

"Well..." Sam trailed off and I turned pink, slapping the back of his head.

"You're disgusting." I grimaced.

"In his own special way. Now get in the car." Axel said, honking the horn from outside the mustang, reaching into the driver's side of the car. I laughed and got in the car.

*******

"About time you guys got here!" I playfully scolded, crossing my arms over my chest and jutting out my hip.

Ry, Sylvia, JJ, Dax and Quint lumbered into the cafeteria of the zoo, where we said we'd meet. I had my hair tucked into my baseball hat, hidden from everyone's view.

"Sorry. Someone decided to sleep in." JJ said, elbowing Quint.

Quint winced and looked away from me. I tried to not look too discouraged. Normally he gives me his usual once-over that always had my cheeks heating up and butterflies flying around my stomach. I thought I didn't like them at first... but I miss it.