02. INVESTIGATION

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂

DAYS HAD GONE BY SINCE THEY HAD SEEN HER AND WITH EACH PASSING MOMENT, THEIR DESIRE TO KNOW MORE GREW STRONGER. It wasn't unusual for them to be curious; it was a part of human nature after all. There were even odd sayings like 'curiosity killed the cat'— it was far too annoying to hear so many times. The point was, they were curious and they wanted answers. However, they didn't know too many second-years or third-years so there was no one to ask. They also had no recollection of what the older kids that had given them some information looked like. In sum, they had nowhere to start.

Excluding the man himself, Aizawa Shota.

Now it had only been a month and a half or so of knowing this man and he had already threatened to expel them. To think they could get any answer out of him was impossible, to say the least. Especially if the rumors were true. Aizawa had no reason to tell them anything if she really was family. At this point, there was no way it wasn't true. As far as they knew, Aizawa usually decided napping during class was the best way to go about something and even if someone (usually Kaminari) was being idiotic, a harsh glare was the farthest he went. On the occasion, the threat of detention or expulsion came with as well.

But now, he seemed off.

They hadn't seen the raven-haired male nap during class, even when they had a free period. He'd take this time to sleep and give out some classwork but now, he'd just stare off into nothing with furrowed brows. It got to the point where, sometimes, the man simply stopped everything he did and left class early. He was much more easily irritable, handing out detentions left and right, even if they did nothing wrong. At some point, the whole class had stayed after school for detention and did what they usually did until realizing that Aizawa had never gone to sit in.

Thankfully, strings were pulled (specifically done by Midoriya and All Might) and most of their detentions were written off their record. The blond man seemed to know what was going on and despite the green-haired protests, not a single word left his mouth. Except once— "All I can tell you is that someone he really cares for is not doing well." Midoriya stopped his questions after that, finally putting two and two together. He had muttered all the way back to the dorms, trying to figure out a way to help the older man.

Not before long, the whole class had begun investigating on their own time. They'd ask people during lunch, gathering all the info and compiling into a small folder. A few students weren't bothered enough to help but every now and then gave a few words of what they had heard from the whispers of the people in school. They had soon gotten closer to their goal from what they had first imagined; Aizawa had no clue and their curiosity would be satisfied.

But as the old saying goes, "curiosity killed the cat."

It was during one of those early mornings when they gathered that Aizawa had walked in, ignoring their halted work. They smiled as innocently as they could but to no avail. He had said nothing and for one second they thought they were fine. But once the bell rang, it went quiet and he stared down the kids that had sat in the room with him. "So, you've been asking about her." It was if everyone in the room had stopped breathing, the tension in the air sickeningly thick. The room went cold as Aizawa's glaring eyes pierced their souls.

"IN THAT CASE, YOU'LL BE HELPING ME MAKE HER SMILE ONE LAST TIME."

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂