1.

If you're just getting started - or maybe restarted - with Jesus, or if you're just curious about faith, you're in the right place my friend.

Throughout this book, I might interchange between versions but I will indicate so. Personally, I prefer using the King James Bible so that will be where I am drawing most of these scriptures from. So, shall we begin?

Well, for the disciples, it all began with two simple words from Jesus, "Follow me."

" And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men

" And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men. "

So that's where we'll start too : following Jesus. Today we will be looking at, Mark chapter 1, starting at verse 1:

"The beginning of the gospel of Jesus Christ, the Son of God."

That's quite an opening. First, it's good news, and who doesn't like good news? It's about Jesus, the Messiah. Messiah means "anointed one" - as in the one, God's chosen. And Jesus is the Son of God.

Verse 2 begins with a prophecy from centuries earlier:

"I will send my messenger ahead of you, who will prepare your way."

God's messenger was a man named John, now, John the Baptist was sent to preach and to prepare hearts for Jesus. How did he prepare them? Well, verse 4 says that he preached a "baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins." Repentance. To repent is to change your mind and change your direction. Recognize that, "Okay, what I did was wrong," then turn away from it. Repenting is far more than just saying sorry, but to follow a whole new direction, making that 180°.

No longer returning to your old self and taking up a new path instead.

And so people came from far and wide to hear John, to repent, and get baptized.

1. The first step to following Jesus is a change of direction.

Confess the wrong you've done, turn away from it, and turn towards Jesus. John baptized with water as a sign of repentance, but he also told them that Jesus was coming and "he will baptize you with the Holy Spirit."

Then in verse 9, Jesus came from Nazareth, and John baptized him. But Jesus' baptism was different. The Spirit descended on him like a dove, and in verse 11:

"A voice came from heaven: 'You are my Son, whom I love; with you I am well pleased.'"

There is so much to see here, but I want you to read for yourself. That's how this works. Please do read Matthew for further insight!

I'll focus on the big picture, then you read the details. Verse 14:

"After John was put in prison, Jesus went into Galilee, proclaiming the good news of God. 'The time has come,' he said. 'The kingdom of God has come near. Repent and believe the good news!'"

Jesus came with a message: God's Kingdom - the place where God rules as King - is neigh. It's at hand, within reach. And he invited people to repent - to turn from their sin - and believe the good news.

The key to reaching God's Kingdom is in two little words: follow Jesus.

Verse 18:

"At once they left their nets and followed him."

Notice that they had to leave something in order to follow. As followers of christ this applies to us as well as, there are some things we will have to leave behind. Whether it be friends, mindsets or relationships there is something more that God is calling you to, baggage that we would have to let go of.

Jesus moved on and found James and John (different John), and they too left what they had and followed Jesus. I don't know how much the disciples understood just yet, but they trusted Jesus enough to take the first steps.

They left it all behind to follow him.

How do we follow Jesus?

Well, we can first start by accepting him. Trust that he is who he says that he is and believe what he has done for us through his death and resurrection. The bible speaks about sin separating us from God, but its through Jesus that we are able to rekindle our relationship with the father. Jesus is the one that stands in the gap between man and God, for it is written in Romans 3:23 that;

" For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God. "

It is seen in the old testament that man was not able to save himself and they always messed up, the sacrafices were simply not enough. But Jesus was the perfect sacrifice. The wages of sin is death and Jesus was sent to accomplish that, to pay the prices on that cross. the price was paid. John 3:16 says;

For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son that whosoever believed in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

This is the good news, that through Jesus that we are able to start anew and granted an opportunity to make it right. All we have to do is accept him into our lives and follow him. If there is anyone who is reading and would like to accept him into their lives, join me in the sinner's prayer.

 If there is anyone who is reading and would like to accept him into their lives, join me in the sinner's prayer

Dear Lord Jesus, I know that I am a sinner, and I ask for Your forgiveness. I believe You died for my sins and rose from the dead. I turn from my sins and invite You to come into my heart and life. I want to trust and follow You as my Lord and Savior

Amen

Thank you for adding this book to your library, if there any inquiries feel free to let me know either in the comments or private message. See you in the next chap, God bless ♡

comment your thoughts or suggestions here ---->