A Dance ~ Dream X Reader

(Background Info)
In this story, you and dream have been enemies since you were young. It all started when Dream stole your pudding in 1st grade. Ever since you've been enemies.

As the grand doors slowly open, the sound of the orchestra begins to fade from my ears. I look over to notice that they have stopped, of course. They must stop for the princess...

Once I've finished talking to myself I enter the ballroom. My heels click beneath me on the polished floor. The light blue gown swaying with my body as I walk.

As I head further into the room the sound of elegant music slowly resumes. When I look around I notice people have resumed what they were previously doing.

Briefly, I turn around and notice my parents and brother walking towards me. My father speaks first, "Y/n. You're late."

I nod in agreement about to respond when my mother speaks, "Honey, this can not happen again. What will people think? You're our only daughter. We can't have people thinking that we don't know how to raise the only princess.".

"I know mother, it's just that-" before I can even finish I'm cut off by my father, "We are not interested in your excuses Y/n. All we ask is that you start taking your very few tasks as princess seriously."

Instead of talking back I just nodded, "Yes father." Once we had finished talking my parents left to greet other guests from other kingdoms. I look over to my brother, "Really George? I thought I asked you to keep them busy!"

He gives me an apologetic look, "I tried! But... They asked me where you were and I told them I didn't know and then they kept asking and I- Look, I'm sorry..." I let out a small sigh and told him it's fine. After George apologized once more he left.

When I turn back around I immediately make eye contact with the one person who I didn't want to see tonight. His bright green eyes locked with mine as I looked over. "Shit..." I mutter under my breath.

Once he's seen me a smirk appears on his face. I keep eye contact as he begins to walk towards me. What are you planning..? I wonder silently. While he gets closer that stupid smirk never leaves his face.

Once he's close enough I can fully see his face. His skin would be perfectly clear, if not for his freckles. The deep green in his eyes, you could get lost in. What am I thinking? This is my enemy!

Before he has the chance to speak I cut him off, "Prince Clay, to what do I owe the honor?" Without saying anything he places his hand in front of me, smirk never leaving his face. Then he utters five words I never thought I'd hear from him, "May I have this dance?"

Out of the corner of my eye I notice that we've caught a few people's attention. Not wanting to get scolded by my parents again, I pushed aside all of my thoughts and gave him my hand.

Trying my best not to sound bitter I smiled sweetly, "Of course." The corner of his smirk faltered but returned quickly. I look at him waiting, "Shall we dance?"

DREAM POV
"Of course." she replied sweetly. My immediate reaction was shock but I concealed it. While I stood there she seemed to get impatient, "Shall we dance?". "Want to dance with me that bad?"

I softly gripped her hand and led her to the dance floor. Once we had got to the center we began slowly swaying along to the music.

Y/N POV
I know he's my enemy, but perhaps once dance can't be that bad. As we were swaying to the music Dream's smirk slowly faded to a small smile.

However, once the music had changed to a proper ballroom dancing song the stupid smirk was back again. I placed my hand up awaiting his, the other going to his shoulder. He placed his hand in mine, and gave a wink as his hand fell to my waist.

We began dancing all around the room. We never broke eye contact once, neither of us wanting to look away first. As we were about to do a spin he placed his foot out, attempting to trip me. Luckily I spotted it and stepped further out.

Throughout our entire dance we kept trying to sabotage the other. I would place my foot in front of his, and he would do the same. During a dip he released his hand from my back.

However, I managed to grab onto his shoulders before I could fall and used him as a support to quickly pull myself up. Right as my heels landed I spun out, not a single one of my previous moves showing hesitation or error.

After I spun I was quickly reconnected with Dream just as the music changed to a slow and steady tempo. I looked up at Dream and looked at his lips. Just as I did, he looked at mine. I slowly leaned in and-

DREAM POV
Once she began to look at my lips, I looked at hers. I was drawn to them, the light pink tone, the slight shine from her lip gloss. She began to lean in and so did I. Just as her lips were about to connect with mine she shifted her head to my ear.

"Next time you plan on dropping me, I suggest you try harder." She pulled a way with a small smile gracing her lips. Me, however, I was standing there in shock. I watched her figure as she slowly walked away.

Y/N POV
As I walked away I couldn't help but let out a small giggle, followed by a yawn. I looked to my left to see that it was 11:48. Quickly I spotted my parents and told them that I was heading to bed.

Once I got to my room I got ready for sleep and changed into some comfortable pajamas. After I had changed I fell onto my bed and thought about what I had done. As my memories reached towards when I had almost kissed him my fingers rose to my lips.

I wonder if he's a good kis- STOP I shook my head at the thought of kissing him. It must be disgusting. After thinking about the previous events of my day I went to sleep.

Word Count-1057