Seven

White moonlight washed over the small lane, reflecting off the white gravel beneath their feet.   The night was full of sound; the wind rustling the tree leaves above, chirping crickets, and a fountain tricking somewhere in the distance. Ahead, a handsome manor house loomed in the pale light, it's many windows reflecting the starry sky above. Harry allowed himself to be steered up the straight path surrounded by neatly trimmed hedges, his arm held tight in Voldemort's grasp.

They stopped in front of an ornate oak door, a brass knocker in the shape of a serpent hung in the center. Voldemort reached up with his free hand and gave it three sharp raps before stepping back to wait. His face was impassive as if it were completely normal for a dead man to show up on someone's doorstep in the middle of the night with a twelve-year-old boy in tow. Harry, on the other hand, could feel his stomach churning as the anxiety began to build within him again.

There was a soft clicking of metal and then the doorknob turned. The door opened wide revealing a small figure in a filth covered pillowcase. It's wide-eyed stare fixed immediately on Voldemort before sliding to Harry, complete shock written all over its wrinkled face.

Harry's mouth slid open and he barely repressed the gasp that threatened to spill out. Dobby looked just as surprised as Harry felt, but he couldn't let on that they knew each other. Harry locked eyes with him and gave his head a short shake. He could only hope that he understood.

"Dobby, who the bloody hell is it at this…" Lucius Malfoy stopped dead in his tracks. He was halfway between tying his night coat and smoothing back his messy blonde hair when his eyes landed on the visitors in the doorway. Harry could see the progression from shock to fear transpire on his face as he looked from Voldemort to Harry and then back again.

"Lucius your house-elf has yet to invite me in, " Voldemort hissed as he pushed past the stunned elf, pulling Harry over the threshold.

Dobby quickly regained his composure and bowing low enough for his long ears to touch the stone floor, he shut the door with a small thud. He scurried around the room, lighting candles with a snap of his twig-like fingers. The gawdy chandelier burst to life, revealing the gorgeous foyer in which they were standing. Portraits around the room awoke, turning their attention to the center of the commotion.

"M..my L…lord, " Lucius stuttered. He blinked several times as if to reassure himself he wasn't dreaming.

Voldemort narrowed his eyes impatiently before stepping closer. "I would very much appreciate a drink, Malfoy, " he said coldly.

"Y-yes, of course, " replied Lucius, shaking himself from his disbelief. He finished trying his robes and stepped towards the heavy door to his right.

Once inside in the large room, Harry could see that floor to ceiling windows lined the back wall. Along the others were bookshelves full of large, leather bound books. Voldemort led Harry to a wingback armchair in front of a grand fireplace and indicated for him to sit. Harry, being as stubborn as he was, silently refused.

"Sit, Potter, " Voldemort snapped, pushing Harry back into the chair. Ropes appeared, tethering his forearms to the wooden arms.

Dobby bustled past, a small goblet of amber liquid sloshing in his hands. He handed it shakily to the Dark Lord before turning to the hearth in front of Harry's chair. Another snap from his fingers set a roaring fire into the grates, washing the room in warm flickering light. His eyes fell to Harry briefly before cowering in the nearby shadows.

"Forgive me, my Lord for my stunned demeanor, but how is this possible, " Lucius asked finding his voice at last.

Voldemort swirled his glass before taking a small sip. He fixed Lucius with a cold stare and then withdrew the tattered diary from his back pocket.  "Someone has been very careless with my property, " he said tossing the black book across the room to Lucius.