(2) Letters and Lunch

Friday, July 10, 1998

Harry woke up early that Friday, early enough that it was considered more night than morning. This wasn't unusual behavior for him. Ever since the Battle of Hogwarts nightmares haunted his sleep. He was visited by the memories of war, of his loved ones dying, and of when he died. He didn't have the nightmares every night, but he didn't remember the last time his sleep felt refreshing. He considered himself lucky that some of the nightmares didn't even include his memories and were just meaningless terrors. This night was not a lucky one. Harry sat up in bed, grabbed the wand he kept under his pillow to comfort him at night, and cast a quick tempus. 5:23 A.M. He knew he wouldn't be able to get back to sleep, so he climbed out of bed to start his day.

After eating breakfast, showering, and several hours of mindless cleaning to keep him busy, Harry heard the familiar tapping of an owl at the window in his study. It wasn't his new bird, a barn owl named Albus, nor was it a bird he recognized. He curiously took the attached letter and gave the owl a treat, letting it sit on his owl perch as it waited for a response. Harry's curiosity quickly turned to shock, then again to a warm happiness when he recognized the family insignia pressed into the wax seal: Malfoy.

The letter read:

Harry Potter,

I am thankful for our brief meeting the other night in Diagon Alley. I am glad to know that my actions have even slightly helped to repay you for what you have done for my family and I. I am not thanking The Boy Who Lived, the Savior of the Wizarding World, I am thanking Harry, the boy who saved my son from a horrible death and took it upon himself to save the both of us from a horrible fate in prison.

It does get quite lonely here in the Manor. Lucius is living out his much-deserved sentence in Azkaban, and Draco is away quite a bit, busying himself with this and that. It would mean a great deal to me if you would consider coming over for lunch with me at the Manor, 12:00. I would appreciate the company of a new friend.

With thanks,
Narcissa Malfoy

Harry didn't quite understand the feeling of happiness that blossomed inside of him upon reading the letter. Maybe it was because he had hardly spoken to Ron and Hermione, the war leaving him with a greater need for physical distractions than for light conversations. Maybe it was because he was glad Narcissa was so kind to him after everything he and Draco had been through. Maybe it was because he was thankful that someone finally looked past his defeat of Voldemort and saw him as just Harry, just a boy. (None of those were necessarily the wrong answer, but he knew deep down he just wanted a friend.)

A quick glance at the clock told him he had thirty minutes until he needed to apparate to Malfoy Manor. He snatched a piece of parchment from a drawer in his desk and scribbled a short response to Narcissa, sending it off with the owl:

Mrs. Malfoy,

I would love to stop by for lunch. I'll apparate when it's time for me to be there.

-Harry

He took his time as he changed into clothes much nicer than the ones he delegated for around the house but still casual and comfortable enough for a simple lunch. Among all the shades of gray and moth-eaten clothes—the result of a needed but unacquired wardrobe update—he found a T-shirt in a shade of green that complimented his eyes (he conveniently ignored that it was Slytherin green.) He paired the shirt with simple, washed-out black jeans and a pair of trainers. Harry ran a comb through his hair just enough to de-tangle it, not worrying about trying to tame it.

With five minutes left, Harry opened a window for Albus to come and go as he pleased. Once he was sure he was ready to leave, he walked out the door to the edge of the wards and apparated with a pop.