Chapter Two

CHAPTER TWO: the worst surprise everThe Ballerina Has a Gun grandinat

The Ballerina Has a Gun grandinat

══✿══╡°˖✧✿✧˖°╞══✿══

Alice and her Mother's apartment was small. The red brick exterior was both charming yet invisible amidst the jungle of apartment blocks and offices. Perfect for the duo who were desperately hiding from so many dangerous people.
The interior of the building, however, was less-charming. After a couple hard years, the reception and common areas were left neglected and unkept, and the elevator often refused to work, leaving the inhabitants to use the creaky staircase.
Alice and her mother's apartment was tidy and quite empty, they were ready to leave at a moments notice. That's how her mother liked it. They had very little furniture and very few personal artefacts or quirky touches to their private space. It held the bare essentials and nothing more.

══✿══╡°˖✧✿✧˖°╞══✿══

✧Alice's POV✧

I swung my door open and immediately dumped my bags. I sighed at the instant relief I felt in my shoulders and back, but stilled suddenly when I heard loud noises coming from our small living room. I approached the door, quite stealthily if I do say so myself, and pressed my ear against it, intrigued by the unusual liveliness of our usually quiet apartment.

"Where is she?"

"Why should I tell you?"

"She's my daughter!"

"Barely!"

"And who's fault is that?!"

I heard voices arguing, one I recognised to be my mothers while I couldn't identify the other. I gripped the cool handle in my hand and opened the door slowly, poking my head out to see into the room. My mum was standing up, shouting at a man and getting in his face. He was tall, towering over my mother, and wore a suit. I couldn't see him that well from behind, but his hair was greying yet well-kept.
There were three other men in the room, all similarly dressed and sat lounging around, two on our couch and one in the armchair. They all looked tough, the sort of people you wouldn't want to get into a fight with, I grimaced at the thought.
I realised that these were the exact sort of people my mum had warned me about. Hard faced, well dressed, intimidating men. These were the type of people we had been hiding from my entire life. My eyes widened at the realisation, and a small gasp escaped my lips. This caught the attention of the man nearest to me, the one in the armchair.

Our eyes locked and I felt very nervous, his eyes were hard and emotionless and he assessed me with a slightly narrowed gaze. Suddenly his eyes softened and a small smile flickered over his features.
"Alice." He greeted me gently, causing everyone in the room's attention to turn towards me. All the men looked at me with familiar eyes, and I felt slightly uncomfortable, having no clue who they were.
The man who had previously been having a row with my mum looked at me with a small twinkle in his brown eyes, similar to my own, and he smiled at me causing his hard features to morf into a cheerful expression. He took a step towards me which snapped my mother out of whatever trance she had been in. She suddenly ran in front of him.