Tense Return

"Young and petulant, always taking the help of others for granted," a soothing voice filled her ears, "She's right you know, you really are just as difficult as you were three years ago." A tall man clad in a black cape gave a hushed laugh.
"But that doesn't excuse the words she exchanges with you little girl."

   Sarah's eyes we're wide, her pupils dilated to see into the darkness, but he was behind her. She strained to hear his voice, a voice she could never forget. Condescending yet understanding, unnaproachably cunning.

"Always with the wishes, I know you didn't mean it Sarah, you didn't intend for this to happen, you could say on the surface you didn't want it but you know deep down you want to get away. You want to leave him, Robert, your father. He isn't ever there when she's verbally abusive and oh how you resent him for that. Irene, that foul creature too, pretty as a fairy, the bite of one too. Using your mother's name against you, oh how pitiful you are Sarah Williams."

   She shook under his breath that gently caressed her cheek as he knelt beside her, whispering in her ear.

   "Don't tell me what's said is said, I don't want to go, nobody will save me or take me away.. " Sarah cried softly, her voice trembling. She dreaded his presence, thought to never have to see him again, yet there he was, his face within reach of her hands. She almost thought of touching him, to see if it was real, to see if she was dreaming.

   "Delicate as a crystal, you can touch me Sarah. You haven't even let me present my deal to you." He winked, the twinkle of his eye visible even in the darkness. "I won't take you away, not from here. I have grown just as much as you little girl. I wouldn't trap you in that castle of mine, but you can will me here with a simple wish. Imagine sorry I couldn't grant your wish today and take you away. Please take this as my apology Sarah."

   A small clink could be heard to her sensitive ears as the ominous feeling of his presence faded. She threw the sheets aside and darted to the light switch, and as the LED flickered to life the only evidence of him ever being there was an orb on her bedside table.