~1~

"More news on the recent sickness spreading throughout Korea has been anoun..." the tv is suddenly turned off, and I stare at my dark reflection. I look over to grandma with the remote in her hand. "Hey, I was watching that", I say. Despite my effort to keep up with the news, grandma always finds a reason to stop me from watching. "The news will rot your brain, now get ready for school", she responds. I hadn't told her school was canceled due to what's been going on.  School was the only way I could get out of the house, and grandma never lets me go anywhere but to school and work. A little lie... like not going to school wouldn't kill her.

I put my uniform on and pack a change of clothes in my backpack along with some money for the day. I checked my uniform in the mirror. I had to be believable so she wouldn't suspect a thing is wrong. "Bye grandma", I yell. "Have a good day," she yells back.

I ride my bicycle a few blocks down the main road to a small cafe. I order a coffee and go to the restroom to change into my regular clothes. I sit in a booth and pull out my laptop. The barista brings my coffee and I work on some school work and personal things. I look out the window. It was cloudy so no one was really out today. It's odd I only really passed maybe five people at most.  I hear the barista switch on a tv mounted in the corner.
Since I was the only customer, I asked "Could you turn on the news please". Maybe they were still talking about what's going on. She nods, "have you heard any information on that new virus?" She asks. I shake my head, I didn't even know it was a virus, I heard so much on the internet like it was probably protests, crowd delusions or some weird new movement. We turn towards the tv. "There have been many recent attacks by some sort of organized group, We advise all to stay inside, and not to leave your homes." A reporter cuts the anchor off "Breaking news we are getting a message from president Moon Jae-in." The president appears on screen, "This is not a drill, All public areas and businesses are being closed for mandatory isolation starting 5pm, please stock up at least a week's worth of food, We plan to have this issue resolved in the next coming days. Make arrangements accordingly. Police reinforcements will arrest you if you are found out in public areas past 5 starting today, please, I repeat please go home now, this is not a drill". The broadcast switches over to another reporter. " we are on the scene of a recent attack, ma'am could you tell us what happened?" the camera pans over to a man. He's snarling and his veins pop with colors of blue and green. The barista gasps. "These people attacked us, they are sick, how could a person do that,'' a woman begins to cry out. "I don't know who or what they are but please help us..." the woman pauses and starts to convulse as the veins on her face start to turn a green and blue color. I look over to the barista as she quietly shakes. The woman attacks the reporter and we both gasp. I stand still, stunned at what I've just seen. "Oh hell no, I'm going home, this can't be real right", the barista says dumbfounded looking at me. " I don't know... can I get a cup to go please?"I ask.

I need to go home, I need to get to grandma, and tell her what's going on. I'm riding back home when I hear an inhuman scream. The image of that man runs in my head and I pedal harder. I burst through the front door. "Grandma," I call out. She's not here. I try calling her phone with no answer. I turn the tv on. "The mobs of sick people have reached north Jeolla and we expect it to spread faster toward the south. Stay home and wait for military services to arrive at your province to escort you to a safe area. These people these... sick people are attacking innocent citizens, please stay safe and..." the screen goes blank and a please stand by logo plays. My blood runs cold. What the hell is going on. I waited a minute to see if the news would come back on. It never did.

    I walk to my room, I need to find grandma. If the military comes to evacuate us I can't leave without her. I can't believe this is happening all so fast. I feel my head start to hurt. I had seen this in movies before. Zombies. Zombies are roaming the street and I need to find grandma.

I was planning ahead what I would do. I would need a weapon in case someone like that sick man tried to attack me. I search my room for a weapon. I suddenly remember and grab the baseball bat I kept in my closet. They always have a baseball bat in the zombie movies. I collect some things and sling my backpack filled with food and clothes over my shoulders. I put on a face mask and grab extra for grandma. I lock up the house and walk to the market. There's only two places grandma goes. The market and the library to play Korean mahjong with her friends. I pray that I can find grandma at the market without being attacked. I can't catch that virus, or whatever is going around I have to take care of grandma. Bat in hand I run to the market.

The market is bustling with the smell of fresh fish and pastries. I walk down the middle getting odd stares from the elderly people. It must be odd to see a girl walking around with a baseball bat in the morning. Had they really not seen the news, was I over reacting. The sweat from my forehead dropped down my face. Maybe this was all fake, was I being pranked. I took a moment to look around. Everyone seemed so calm, and peaceful. Maybe I was wrong. No, this has to be real. I saw the news with my own eyes. Even the barista girl freaked out. People like that man, that sick man, would be here soon.

I look for grandma's dark hair. There she is paying for fish from a guy who looked a little older than me. "Jae-an what are you doing here?", She yells. "Let me explain grandma", I say, trying not to make a scene. "Jae-an tell me what's going on!'' "Grandma we must go home, there's people who are carrying the virus headed toward us, it was all over the news." I whisper yell. "Gosh Jae-an, I'm sure it's under control, you can't be swayed so easily by the news" she snaps. Suddenly a scream is heard as people start to run our way. Then I see it, a person. A person being eaten by a woman. Suddenly I felt a cramp in my stomach. My knees wanted to buckle. It was real. My worst nightmare is happening. An apocalypse is happening and I'm in the middle of it.

(A/N: Hi! Hope you guys like it :) just need to get some of the backstory in. Thanks for reading <3 )