𝚎𝚒𝚐𝚑𝚝𝚎𝚎𝚗

REAL LIFE.

"stop rambling and open that box Riles" Drew joked, throwing me a pillow.

i let out a weak scream, throwing it back to him. Drew smirked as he athletically grabbed the pillow with both his hands before it could hit him.

Drew and I were in my room, he was laying on my bed keeping me company while i was sitting at my desk attempting to work at my presentation for university.

attempting because i wasn't doing much since Drew kept finding new ways to distract me. not that i didn't enjoy his presence, indeed i did. since he was back from LA for Christmas, everything between us seemed to be back to normal.

when he decided to give me a Christmas present, we started bickering about whether he should have bought me a gift or not.

it was typical of us: me overthinking every single thing that he did and he getting mad about it.

"have you bought a Christmas gift to Cody, too?" i argued, slowly crossing my arms over my chest as i gave him a challenging look.

Drew let out a giggle "why does it matter?" he questioned, gesticulating.

"i'm trying to prove a point" i hardly held back a laugh.

Drew raised an eyebrow "and you point is?" i was about to reply but i he quickly cut me off.

"you know what, i don't wanna know" he laughed, visibly amused by our constant bickering over minors matters "just open it!"

i laughed at him, starting unboxing under his watchful gaze. he moved closer, sitting at the edge of the bed.

"J?" i raised an eyebrow as i pulled out of the small box a necklace with a J charm.

he gave me a soft smile, scratching the back of his head. "J as in jerk?" i joked, causing him to push me playfully.

"no, J as in Joseph. that was how you used to call me to annoy me. do you remember?" i nodded, and both the gift and the thought made me grin from ear to ear.

"the truth is" he continued to speak, his eyes now fixed on his hands as he fidgeted with his ring "i loved when you called me like that. i don't know why. it just felt so personal."

my heart melted as i was listening to him. i wanted to tell him so many things but no sound came out of my mouth.

"can i?" he asked softly, pointing at the necklace. i simply nodded as i pushed myself up from the chair and sat down next to him on the bed, giving him my back. he delicately put my hair over my shoulder, causing me to shiver when his fingers casually rubbed against my bare neck. i could feel his warm breath on my neck he gently put the necklace on me and he struggled a few seconds to close the claps, causing a smile to grow on my face.

"do you like it?" he questioned as i slowly turned around to face him, his bright blue eyes scanning my face. suddenly my mind was blown and all i could think about were his full lips a few inches away from mine.

luckily i managed to stop myself from crossing that line. i placed my hands on his chest, gently pushing him away. he looked at me with his puppy eyes, my heart sinking just at the thought of breaking his again.

he opened his mouth to say something but i cut him off "i can't do this" i mumbled, reaching out the clasp of the necklace to remove it under his confused gaze.

"whatcha doin?" he questioned, his eyes widened.

"i'm seeing someone, Drew" i said bluntly, attempting to take off the necklace by myself and failing. Drew put his hands over mine, removing them from the back of my neck "it's just a necklace, not an engagement ring" he chuckled. he was trying to stay unbothered but i could feel that deep down my reaction hurt him.

"just a necklace, huh? what would you say if another guy bought a necklace to your girlfriend?" i said sarcastically and Drew suddenly became serious.

"exactly" i smirked.

"he's a good guy, he respects me and i'm happy with him, i don't wanna ruin another relationship" i said softly, causing a bitter smile to appear on his features.

"okay, i believe you, you're happy with him. but then why you feel this way when you're with me? i was here minutes ago, when we were about to kiss. there's this electricity between us that we don't have with anyone else. it took a while for me to accept it, but it's true. no matter how hard we try, we will never be just friends. friends don't look at friends the way we do. i know that you can feel it too. please give me a sign it's not just me."

i looked at him startled as he spoke, his voice never been so firm as his eyes never left mine.

deep down i knew he was right. but i couldn't do this to Marvin. i loved Drew, but he was a wildcard. one day he wants me, the other he doesn't. i needed stability right now and Marvin was the one who could give it to me.

"Drew please don't make things more difficult than they actually are" i pleaded but he shook his head. i hated how stubborn and ostinate he was.

"look me in the eyes and tell me that you're totally over me, that you're feeling nothing for me and i'm gonna take it" he said with a more rather serious voice.

i looked at him, reaching out his hand to hold it. "Drew, i love you, i love you like i've never loved anyone before and i think a part of me will love you forever. but perhaps we're just not meant to be together" my voice caught in the last part of the sentence.

he reached out for my hand and started playing with it nervously.

"i think we are, Riles. can't you see that? everything i do leads me to you. we're like magnets, we've got a special bond that'll never break" he said with a trembling voice, never breaking eye contact or leaving my hand. "but i got it, you and him have something and you don't wanna lose that, and i accept it" he spoke again as watched him silently, now his voice was rather more firm. he left my hand and got off my bed.

"where are you going?" i questioned, looking up in his direction.

"home, i have stuff to do. if you don't want to wear my gift it's okay, but please take it" he said.

i stood up to face him, wrapping my arms around his torso "i love you so much" i whispered against his chest. at first he stood there for a moment but then the wrapped his hands around me, holding me tight.

"i love you too Riles."

— 𝑬𝑵𝑫 𝑶𝑭 𝑨𝑪𝑻 𝑻𝑾𝑶.

☾ ☾ ☾ ☾ ☾

a.n.
hi friends, how are y'all? i'm so so so sorry for late updating but school has been draining me and i couldn't find any inspiration. this is the reason why for this chapter i know it's terrible
:( next update will be act three and hopefully this time Drew and Riley will get together??
idk 👀
btw thanks for all the positive feedbacks i read it all and y'all make me so happy :)