Simula

"This school year has showed us a kaleidoscope of life in both vibrant and dull hues. For months, we were trapped in a deadly maze full of struggles and challenges but because of our hardwork and persistence, we are able to come out alive."

Even from a distance, I can see that the valedictorian is already getting teary-eyed. I really don't know why most of the students who give closing speeches like her become emotional. I couldn't relate with Arriane because I had never been in the same position that she was in now.

Kumunot ang aking noo nang may marinig akong magbuntong-hininga. "Malapit na matapos. Huwag kang atat," sermon ko kay Hiro na katabi ko.

Kanina ko pa napapansin na parang hindi siya mapakali sa inuupuan niya. He was always tapping his feet on the floor. And when he gets bored, he'll extend his legs up in front. Ako ang nahihiya para sa kanya kapag naiistorbo niya ang mga nakapuwesto sa harapan namin.

Hiro crossed his arms in front of his chest before he faced me. "Ang haba-haba kasi ng sinasabi. Gutom na ako," he argued. I gave him an amused smirk before I averted my gaze in front of us where the spotlight was still shining on the most promising graduate of our batch.

"What's with that look?" tanong niya at inilapit pa talaga niya ang mukha niya sa akin para mas makita ako. Siniko ko siya kaya dumistansiya naman ang lalaki. Hindi talaga uso sa kanya ang tinatawag na personal space.

"It's the look that I give to people who are still bitter when it comes to their exes," I blatantly said. Hiro suddenly jolted into action because of what I said.

"I'm not!" he defended. Mukhang napalakas ang pagkakasabi niya no'n dahil napalingon sa kanya ang iba naming mga kaklase. Hindi pa rin talaga siya nagbabago. Mukhang gusto pa rin niyang manguna ngayon sa listahan ng mga noisy kahit graduation na namin.

"That's what a bitter would say," mahina kong bulong sa kanya. "And please, if you have plans to meet our guidance officer after this event, huwag mo na akong idamay."

He just sighed in response.

"Standing in front of you now and being able to gaze upon an emerald sea of amazing students who are ready to embark in a new expedition will remain as the greatest milestone that I had reached all year round. I am really proud of what we have achieved, fellow graduates."

My focus was disrupted when Hiro tried to hide a cough. "If you were the one giving the closing remarks, I'll surely be as attentive as a dog," he commented with his gaze still set on the stage.

Napabuntong-hininga ako. "Can you shut up for a minute at least?" I murmured beside him. I thought that he would finally be quiet but he still opened his annoying mouth.

"Hindi ka ba nanghihinayang, Reg? You should be the one up on stage right now if only you stayed here in VSU," seryosong saad ni Hiro nang hindi pa rin tumitingin sa akin. The air inside the auditorium suddenly became colder and even though I was wearing a long-sleeved black polo inside my toga, I still can't help not to shiver.

But what Hiro said was true. If I just started the first semester as an eleventh grader in this university, I would have a shot in becoming the top student. But I didn't. Instead, I took a risk and got my entire life and reputation on the line. Pagkatapos ng lahat ng nangyari ay sa unibersidad ding ito ang bagsak ko.

Totoo nga talaga na nasa huli ang pagsisisi. I had regrets but I chose not to dwell on them any longer. Ang mahalaga ay may natutunan ako. And from those laments, I had mastered the art of never committing the same mistake twice.

I shook my head even though I wasn't sure if Hiro was looking at me. "Bumalik naman ako, 'di ba? If I'd known that you'll miss me that much, hindi na lang sana ako umalis," I joked. Sumimangot ako nang wala akong matanggap na tugon mula sa kanya.