07

Wind blew through her hair, making a shiver go down her spine. It was warm out, but the wind that greeted her once in a while left her feeling chilled to the bone. No matter, she wasn't willing to go inside yet.

Her balcony was sparsely decorated, with only a couple of chairs and a small table filling out the space. It was the one thing she'd loved the most about the apartment before she decided to buy it with her carefully saved money – the balcony was quite large, with a view over a section of trees, and a bit further down, a river with a crossing bridge. She did by no means live in a large city, but it was a nice contrast towards the stressful nature of it anyways. It was a breath of fresh air, a silence she so rarely found those days.

She savored the wind, closing her eyes and feeling it brush against her face, a soft touch and the calm sound of it passing by. It was getting dark outside and the only real shapes she could make out were the black silhouettes of the trees against the dark blue sky. Some bird was chirping in the distance, but she didn't have the knowledge to point out which kind it was.

In that moment she found herself questioning why she held on so tightly to Wick, and why she was so scared of being alone. It was strange to her, because she so rarely allowed herself to truly be alone and in her own company, but she realized how much she enjoyed it. She got the time to think and wonder about things she'd otherwise never give the time of day. Maybe she had no idea what so ever who she was, and let herself mold into the person Wick wanted. She wouldn't know, because she didn't know herself.

"Rough day?"

Delilah furrowed her eyebrows, raising her head quickly towards the voice which spoke to her. A shape moved on the balcony next to hers, and by the voice she could tell it was a woman. The voice was rough, but held a soft edge to it. The light from inside the apartment fell upon the woman's face and illuminated her just so slightly, but it didn't make much of a difference as far as making out any features went.

She heard a small clicking sound, and soon a flame shone in the dark. She could make out basic features, a tall and slim body, a sharp chin and short hair, but most of it was hidden in the darkness of the night. Soon the flame was put out and exchanged with the lit edge of a cigarette.

"Huh?" Delilah couldn't muster much else, and looked at the woman with a confused expression, though she was aware she could most likely not see much of it. She heard a chuckle, soft compared to the rough voice, and she could see the woman shake her head slightly.

"You looked so deep in thought," she said, taking a drag of her cigarette. Delilah watched her for a moment before letting a small chuckle escape her lips. She glanced down at the table where her book was lying opened, though she couldn't make out the words anymore.

"Oh, well I guess," she said, smiling. "Long week, I suppose. Family's coming over and I currently have one piece of furniture in my apartment."

"Not close with them then, I suppose?"

Delilah thought for a moment, chuckling. "Dad and I are good, but mom... I think I'm a bit too liberal for her."

"Well, shit," the woman said, before taking a drag from the cigarette. "Sounds like our moms should meet up for lunch someday."

"Oh, for sure," Delilah chuckled. "Think she'd love that, actually."

"So, are you new here?" the woman said after a short pause, motioning towards the apartment complex with her thumb. "Never seen you around before."

"Oh, no," Delilah began, sighing before she continued. "I've been here for over six months. I've just not... stayed here, most of the time."

"Right," the woman said, and it seemed like the conversation was over, though Delilah didn't want it to be. She roamed her mind for a question to ask, realizing that she'd probably missed talking to people besides Wick for a long time.