Chapter One

I wake up to the sound of my phone buzzing on my bedside table. Taking a quick glance noticing the time, I'm late, rushing out of bed I hastily rummage through my closet throwing on a pair of jeans and a black t-shirt. Luckily Jane is already downstairs waiting on me as always, stumbling down the stairs trying to pull my shoes on proves to be a very difficult task. Grabbing the car door and almost burning my arm on the seat-belt sets the tone for the rest of the day. Jane takes one look at me, shake her head laughing, and hands me a hair brush, "Take this. Use it. You look like a mess. Did you just wake up?"

               Rolling my eyes, I quickly run the brush through the tangles in my hair, "Yes, I hate mornings. Why can't school just be in the morning?" Jane laughed and pulled out of the parking spot. Jane and I have been friends since middle school, I had slipped in the cafeteria and spilled my food all over me and she was the only one that didn't laugh and actually helped me up. We have been friends ever since. It was the last Friday of the month which meant it was family dinner night at her house. Her mom just got remarried in Vegas and I was going to be meeting the new family, to say I was nervous would be an understatement. Jane looked at me and asked, "Are you ready for tonight? I think you are really going to like them; they are really nice."

               "Yeah, I'm so excited! From what you have said they seem great." I said with a tight smile, trying to hide my nervousness.

               "I can't wait for you to meet Carter; you guys are so similar it's insane! Oh my gosh! You guys have to date and then fall in love and then we can be sisters!" Jane almost screamed that last part. I looked over at her laughing and said, "Jane I love you but I am perfectly happy being single, plus I have you." We pulled in to the parking lot and parked in Jane's assigned spot. I grabbed my backpack and threw it over my shoulder as Jane continued to talk about how awesome it would be if her new stepbrother and I were to get married and how fun it would be if we were sisters. Honestly, I tuned out right after she mentioned something about babies. Once I made it to my locker, I was able to escape the conversation about Carter. I have to admit he does sound like a nice guy; I just don't know if I am ready to be in a relationship. Right now, my main focus is just making it through senior year and going to college in the fall.

                The first half of the day went by surprisingly fast and it was already time for lunch. I headed to the courtyard to find Jane; she was sitting on a patch of grass under a palm tree. Jane always looked so effortlessly beautiful, sometimes I was jealous of her beauty, and her thin frame. I was a slob compared to her, with my thick thighs, slightly big tummy, and the layer of baby fat under my chin that I can't for the life of me get rid of. "Babe! There you are, I was getting worried." Jane yelled across the courtyard, pulling me from my self-destructive thoughts about my body.

                I lay down on the grass next to Jane and stare up at the sky. Looking over at Jane I ask, "What makes you think Carter would even be interested in me?" Jane looks at me with a look of both shock and excitement. "I knew it! I knew you would warm up to the idea. Honestly Ena, you are so gorgeous you don't even realize. Plus, you are funny, talented, shy but in a cute way, and he would be a fool not to be into you." I look back at the sky wondering if what she said is true. Even though I haven't met him I am excited to see if something could come out of this. What if this is fate?

               "I don't know Jane, what you said is great and all but I don't see myself that way. What guy wants to be with someone who doesn't even love themselves?" Jane just rolled her eyes and sighed, her sign for we will talk about this later, obviously not wanting to get into that at the moment. We ate in silence for the rest of lunch and I kept stealing food from her when she wasn't looking. One thing I loved about the monthly family dinners with Jane's family was the leftovers. I could eat off of those for a week! My mom hasn't been home for a few weeks, she's traveling for work, so we don't really have that much food at the house. Though I could never tell Jane that, she would insist on me eating with her family every night and I wouldn't want to impose. Before I knew it, lunch was over and we were off to the last half of the day, which sadly dragged on and on. The most eventful part of the day was in English, the seniors decided to pull a prank there were chickens running around everywhere, in turn, they let out class early. I met up with Jane at her car. "Okay so I am going to drop you off so you can get ready for dinner, do you want me to come pick you up?" Jane asked.

               "I think I can manage to get myself to your house. I do it every month." I said laughing. We jammed out the rest of the way to my house. Once she dropped me off, I didn't really know what to get ready for. Shower obviously, but clothes wise I wasn't sure if I should dress up more than normal. First impressions were everything for me but I didn't want it to look like I was trying too hard. I sent Jane a text asking her what I should wear before hoping into a quick shower. Sometimes I think about life or jam out in the shower but this time my mind was so preoccupied with thoughts of how tonight would go my normal shower thoughts were no where in sight. Turning off the shower and grabbing my towel, I check my phone to see that Jane had responded telling me to just dress normal and not to think too much. Okay then, jeans and t-shirt it is. I get dressed quickly and let my hair air dry, one thing I am happy to have gotten from my father, tame hair. Once last glance in the mirror and I am out the door. God I'm nervous.