Freehoun- Short Story: One

As the day began, Gordon arrived at the scene. He had been in a long sleep for exactly twenty years, or at least damn near close to it. The streets were empty, barren and cold, as per thanks to the Combine. Gordon wandered them by himself, wondering what exactly happened during his long rest. 

As Gordon wandered, he came across a rather tall building, a ladder conveniently hanging from one of the building's lattices. He stared at it, hoping it would get him where he needed to be. After having scaled the ladder into the building, he was greeted by a man in a gasmask, who weld some sort of baton. Gordon watched the baton zap to life, and began to climb back out of the ladder, only to fall six feet to the ground. The masked man hopped down the ladder, landing next to Gordon, who was rather dazed. As the latter stared at the former, the Masked Man removed his mask and stared at Gordon with familiar eyes.

"Hey Gordon! Long time no see. It's me, Barney! From Black Mesa!"

Gordon's eyes widen in shock as Barney pulled the former into a tight hug and planted a cheek onto his face. Gordon, his shock turning into genuine happiness now, gave a soft chuckle.

"I've missed ya, buddy."