thirty two

As fast as I was out, the morning came even faster. I was still fast asleep in what felt like a sickness coma, until a large clanging noise came from outside my door. I refused to open my eyes until I heard footsteps coming down the creaky stairs. Opening my eyes, I flung myself up suddenly to try & warn Killua to leave.

To my shock & partial dismay, he wasn't under me. I wasn't still cuddled into his lap like a puppy, snoozing the night away. I had been sprawled out on the bed, my head rested on my stiff flat pillow. I look around a few times to take in my surroundings, to believe he actually left.

Inside of me, I felt this little sadness hit that he was gone. But as my eyes laid upon Gotoh, who stood by the side of my pathetic bed, I realize it was a good call he left. My question was, when did he leave, & how didn't I notice?

I put the thought aside, to listen into Gotoh, "Miss Karma, you seem to have been resting well."

I gave a quick nod. It was true, I was honestly feeling a whole lot better. I thanked Killua mentally for taking care of my dumb stubborn ass. Without him, I probably would've snuck off to work yesterday to talk to Chef, clean, & made my sickness all the worse.

It felt like all the fog had lifted from my brain, all the rotating feelings of hot & cold, & all the dizzy nauseous feelings had dissipated. I felt like I was reborn, & ready to get back to work. Which, was both awful & amazing at the same time.

Having to do my job sounds like hell, not to sound ungrateful, I'm lucky to be here...but, I get to hang out with Killua still. So, I guess it's not all too bad in the long run.

Gotoh placed his wrinkly hand on my forehead, feeling for any warmth or clamminess, "Hmm, seems that you're all better."

Adjusting his posture, he turned around & went back up the stairs. Opening the door slightly, he beckoned back, "Be ready in five minutes, you have duties to attain too."

"Yes Sir Gotoh."

Then he opened the door & left. Most likely he was standing right outside the door waiting for me so he can tell me what I needed to do. I prayed that by the time I got ready, Killua would have already asked for my duties as a maid. Or, that I'd be sent to kitchen duty. I needed to check in on Chef & Lyric still, & tell Chef about everything that's gone down in the last few days.

I stretched my arms above my head, my shoulders gently cracking. I pushed myself out of bed, undressing myself quickly. I realize I hadn't placed my maid uniform back in it's designated spot. It took me a minute to realize it was in the bag that me & Killua had brought home, hidden with my forbidden clothing. I walked over to where my sink was, crouching underneath the sink. A small hole was in the fragile wall, making the perfect hiding spot for a small bag.

Reaching my hand in there, I snag the bag & pull out the uniform. I gaze at the outfit that had given me some sort of freedom from my restraints in my normal attire. I give it a small smile, knowing it won't be the last time I see it. I know that I'd get some more freedom. I knew that it wasn't going to be the last time adventuring, nor wearing it.

I pushed the bag back into the small hole, shoving it in their throughly in case of someone barging into my room for a sudden inspection. I quickly throw all my clothing on, slipped on my shoes, put my headdress on, & tied my hair into two high pigtails once again. Skipping back to my mattress, I grab the perfume & spritz a small waft onto me.

Now I was ready for a - hopefully - good day.

Gently climbing each step, avoiding the badly known spots, I made my way to the large metal door. Slowly pushing it open, a loud squeak erupted from it. & just as I expected, Gotoh stood outside my door. He was standing up against the wall opposite of my door, staring into the abyss. He seemed focused & solemn, making me feel cold & uneasy very quickly.

i closed the door, standing in front of him. I give a bow, as he starts to speak, "That's more like it. Now, you weren't called upon yesterday, but Chef could've used your help. Instead, I called another help in there & they got in trouble."

"May I ask what happened?"

"Hmm." Gotoh answered, seeming a little agitated, "Let's just say the help put something horrible on Master Illumi's food. As well as Master Milluki too, they seemed to have given him peanuts, resulting in an allergic reaction."

I gulped, knowing how pissed off both of them must've been. The two masters were very terrifying - no matter how much we made fun of Piggy, he was still scary. They're both still assassins after all, & they could probably kill us in less than a touch.

But, I still laughed internally knowing the help must've put pickles in or on Illumi's food. Weirdly, it just seemed to crack me up. Out of all the things he could dislike, he chose pickles.

Clearing my throat, I begin to speak again, "Was the help handled?"

He shook his head, "Currently, the masters are speaking of what shall be done with the poor soul. For now, they are confined into their room for solitude. All we know is whatever punishment I have for them, won't be as bad as what the masters will decide."

I nodded in confirmation. I knew it was all true: it was all up too fate now for that help. Either they were going to have to beg for forgiveness, or pray that whatever their punishment is, isn't too brutal.

Gotoh cleared his throat once more, "Now, for your duties for today. You'll be helping Chef all day in the kitchen, since you seem to know your way around. If he dismisses you, either you'll be cleaning the living room or washing the clothes."

"Washing the clothes?"

I realized I had questioned him, causing a quick bow. He didn't seem to mind it this once, actually putting an explanation behind it for once, "Yes. Lyrical isn't in good health still, & we might need an extra replacement or help."

"So...what if a master calls upon me, Sir?"

Gotoh gave me the side eye before pushing his glasses up with two fingers, "Well, if that's so, then you'd go with them. But, I need you in the kitchen a good bit today, so I'll most likely try to find the master another maid or butler to aid their needs."

I bowed, feeling my heart wrench a little bit. But I tried to stay positive that Kil would come hang out with me today, no matter what Gotoh was actually saying. Even if that meant Killua just hanging out in the kitchen or helping me with a few things.

He dismissed me, starting to walk down the hallway. As I turned on my heel to start walking the opposite way, I heard Gotoh call to me down the hall. I stopped in my tracks, turning to look at him.

Gotoh continued to walk, as he said these words to me,

"& Miss Karma, I expect no messing around..."

"You wouldn't want to end up like the help from yesterday."