Chapter 9

Ms. Li rushed up onto the altar and helped Shang walk back to the pew.

The priest said a few more words then it was over.

I slowly walked up to the casket and laid my father's football next to a bouquet of forget-me-nots.

Tears were brought to my eyes when I saw Shang still sitting in the pew with his head down. I don't know what I would do if I lost my father. I understand how he feels. Almost exactly. Who knew you could understand someone who was so different from yourself.

Opposites attract I guess. Did I just admit I liked Shang?! No, I didn't. I just misunderstood myself.

I pushed the thought out of my head as I walked to my car.

Nobody was home when I got there.

I went up to my room and said a prayer for Shang. I don't usually do that, but I felt like he needed it.

The next day was a lot happier.

It was homecoming week so the school was buzzing with ideas for spirit days, homecoming king and queen politics, and the quality of our football team.

We had been practicing like crazy everyday until six whereas we usually practice until five.

Shang had bounced right back into the swing of things. He practiced harder than ever, and made us do the same thing.

Christina and Manchu seemed to lighten my mood too.

"Now for tacky day, are we going to match or........" Christina started at lunch.

"Sure." I said as I popped an M&M into my mouth.

"Ok so let's wear pink tutus, plaid leggings, bright pink high heels, cheetah print suspenders, and a Japanese cat shirt."

"No high heels. Remember what happened last time." I looked at Shang a few times.

She looked at him too and corrected herself, "Pink converse."

I gave her a thumbs up.

"I don't know what I should wear." Manchu said.

"Just wear your normal clothes, those are tacky enough." I said.

Christina and I laughed. Manchu looked annoyed.

Practice was actually fun today. We scrimmaged and I actually got to play.

Shang was more friendly with me. He passed to me a lot and would talk with me on the bench.

I didn't know why he had a change of heart. Maybe with his dad dying it made him open himself up with some other boys.

Christina and I went shopping after practice.

"What about this one?" I asked as I put an orange sweater up to my chest.

She thought about it. "Orange isn't your color."

I put it back on the rack and sifted through some dresses.

"A dress? For what?" She asked.

"I don't know. A date maybe." I blushed.

"Ooh! With who?!" She batted her eyes.

I picked up a short blue dress with white stripes and held it up to my chest.

"A guy." I answered.

"Well obviously. What guy?"

I turned and put the dress back.

"Shang." I mumbled to myself.

She dropped her bags. "Shang?!" She yelled.

"You didn't hear that." I whispered.

She jumped up and down. "Yes I did! How do you like him?!"

My grin was replaced with a grimace. "I don't." I mumbled.

"I know there has been something going on with you." She was grinning from ear to ear, her brilliant white smile lighting up the small department store.

"I know you are lying Mulan Fa."

"No. I don't like anyone. I can't. Especially when homecoming is coming up. I have to push my girl feelings aside and think like a boy." I argued.

"Whatever. But after football season, girl feelings are going to take over."

I rolled my eyes and we checked out.

I bought a blue sweater,the same style as the orange one, a pair of combat boots, and a black and white crop top.

I got home and saw I had a few texts from Manchu.

Shang! R u cray cray!

Christina told u?

That lucky girl gets everything out of u. All I get is insults.

Who said they were insults ;)

- -
^

I laughed and flopped on my bed.

I felt so much lighter. I don't know if it was the funny conversation Manchu and I just had, or the thoughts of Shang that swirled in my head.

Did I really like him? And why? I don't think there had to be a reason. Did he like me back? No. Not Mulan. Maybe Peyton as a friend but definitely not Mulan. Him and I were never going to happen so I should stop thinking about it.

The heart ache was killing me.