Still Not Satisfied

After Jason got Addilyn to talk to him, she slowly started hanging out with the guys again. They'd go to lunch, meet up for drinks and have movie nights like they used to, but it felt different. To all of them.

The boys shared a look when they noticed one Saturday that Addilyn wasn't eating her salad. After everything that happened with Ian, they started to notice her eating differently. She used to eat burgers when they went to their diner, but she switched to small side salads.

She was barely eating, she wasn't telling stories about her students, she wasn't laughing, she wasn't even smiling.

The only way Addilyn would eat was if Jason, Daniel, or Mikey was with her. One of them would pick her up and take her to their diner to meet the other guys. For lunch, Jason would sneak over to her school and take her food.

"So are you coming to dinner tonight?" Jason asked. He looked up and his heart sank when he noticed her picking at her lunch.

"I don't know," she shrugged. "I'm really tired. I'm trying to make sure my students are ready for their finals."

"It's Friday, Ads," he said slowly.

"I know," she stuttered. "But. . ."

"Addilyn," he whispered. He reached over and grabbed her hand. "I know things have been rough lately, but it'll get better?"

"Will it?" She asked, harsher than she meant. She cleared her throat as she pulled her hand out of his. "I just. . . I feel. . . Stuck. Ian breaking the engagement feels like. . . I can't even explain it."

When her voice broke, Jason stood up and knelt in front of her. He wrapped his arms around her, his heart sinking when she took a shaky breath.

"I can't do this anymore, Jas," she whispered. "I feel like I'm drowning. I get up every morning and want nothing more than to curl into a ball and drown out the world. I get up, numb, and go to work. I fake a smile as I teach my kids. Every time I paint a smile on my face, I feel like I can't breathe."

Jason's heart clenched in his chest when Addilyn's breath got caught in her throat. He tightened his arms around her, not knowing what to say.

"What do you need?" He asked. "Anything you need, you ask me and I'll do it for you. I'd do anything for you."

Addilyn smiled weakly as she tightened her arms around him. "Thank you, Jason," she whispered.

Jason looked down at her and watched as she slowly closed her eyes. When she cuddled more into his chest, he tightened his arms around her. Before he could stop, he leaned down and pressed a kiss to the top of her head.

"I'll always be here for you, Ads."

* * * * *

"So Ads," Mikey said, clearing his throat. "We were thinking we might go out of town for the weekend. Maybe head to Atlantic City? I have a couple of days off and school is over this week."

"No thanks," she cut him off. "I still have to clean my room and they are putting in new carpeting so I have to move all the desks to the side and it could take a while. . ."

"What if we help you?" Daniel eagerly offered.

"No," Addilyn said a little too quickly. "It's fine. You guys would have to take time off from work and that's not fair of me to ask. . . It's fine. I can do it."

"Ads," Jason sighed.

"I'll catch up with you guys later," Addilyn sighed as she stood up and grabbed her jacket.

"Are you sure?" Mikey asked. "It's not that late."

"I know," Addilyn sighed. "I should still go. I have a lot of grading to do."

"Okay," Daniel stuttered, not sure what to say.

Mikey looked around at the guys before clearing his throat. "We'll take you home," Mikey said, glancing knowingly at the guys.

"That's okay," Addilyn said before the boys could stand up.

"We don't mind," Jason added. "We can drive you home so you don't have to get a cab."

"It's all right," Addilyn shrugged. She grabbed her purse, throwing it over her shoulder. "I'll see you guys later."

The boys watched as Addilyn left the diner and started walking down the street.

"She isn't okay, is she?" Daniel asked.

"No," Jason sighed. "She's not."

Jason stood up and left the diner, following Addilyn.

"And neither is he," Mikey sighed.