Chapter Six

Chapter Six

Upon Black Wings

Breakfast the next morning was a chilly affair, as Daiya had enough free time to join the rest of her family and his. They were purposely seated next to one another by her parents, but only a few words were said, mostly small talk that fit in with the conversation at the rest of the table. Richard really wanted to apologize to her for the previous night but he felt too embarrassed to do it in front of everyone who was there. Even Queen Reiea popped in for a small bite to eat before her and King Dycoz held their meeting; after apparently arriving sometime during the night without so much as a word. Then again, these talks might actually be secret, so it wouldn't be good to go announcing her arrival like they had with his family. Like Daiya, she seemed to not pay too much attention to Richard and he was really starting to feel out of place. At least he had his sword lessons a bit later to occupy his time and mind.

“How is your breakfast, Richard?” Queen Rina addressed him as he dug into the platter of strange fruit before him. It all tasted pretty good, but he honestly didn't recognize a single piece of fruit that he was eating. He wasn't about to say that out loud though.

“It's delicious, thank you,” he replied. Something in his voice must have sounded off though, because the Dark Elf Queen titled her head quizzically.

“Does something not meet your taste?” the King now asked, leaving a conversation he had been having with his son about his studies.

“N... no... not exactly,” Richard stuttered. He really didn't want to go on, especially since he was already in the dog house with Daiya; and it wouldn't do to get on her father's bad side as well. But at this point he couldn't stop himself from continuing, and things only got worse from then. “Everything is really good... I've... I've just noticed that there hasn't been any meat in these meals. It's no big deal, really. Was just curious.”

“Oh, that's right; I forgot that you lived most of your life in a small village across the sea,” King Dycoz sighed softly, like he was actually upset that he had forgotten that little fact.

“The Elothian Royal Family saves meat filled meals for special occasions, Richard,” Aura then explained to him, and a sudden thought struck him.

“Really? So... you're vegetarians most of the time?”

“In a sense, I suppose. It's a tradition that has been in our family for many generations,” the Queen said, her soft and gentle smile casting a stark contrast to her daughters currently moody frown. “Elothia wasn't hit as hard as the other Kingdoms were during the Slave War, and our ancestors considered themselves blessed because of it. So to show their gratitude to the Gods they swore off meat, unless it was prepared for special events. Only the royal family practices this though; the rest of the kingdom is free to eat as much meat as they wish.”

“Oh...” Richard groaned now and slowly looked towards Daiya, who had suddenly realized that something was going on. “I... I'm uh... sorry, Daiya. That hamburger I got you when you and Lythia came to get me had meat in it. I didn't know you weren't supposed to have meat unless it was a special occasion... I am so sorry.”