Cade | Chap. 11

Red hot flames singed my sides, stinging my skin with burns. Eyes half closed, I leapt over a charred bush and nearly tripped on my own paw as I landed. Ava's heart beat steadily against my back but blood continued to ooze from her wound. If she's to live, I must find Kyra. The pack, luckily, had established rendezvous points so that all survivors may regroup and recuperate in case of an attack; underground bunkers had been built many years ago, well hidden and capable of sustaining hundreds of wolves for up to six months.

Never thought I'd be alive to see the day they'd be used.

As the smoke began to dissipate, a large fallen oak came into view, its log marked by claws. To the naked human eye, this mark was but a mere etche into the wood; the Weston landmark signaled I'd arrived at my destination. Slowing my pace to a trot, I carefully slid Ava onto the ground as I then assumed my human form. I scooped her body from the ground and pushed through the moss. The tunnel was engulfed in darkness as the mossy wall closed behind me, sealing the entrance from view. Fear scent caught in my throat, drowning every smell around me as I stepped further into the tunnel and reached the bunker's door, a 6' tall cement door reinforced with silver; no man or wolf would break through.

I knocked. Anyone inside? It's Cade.

Muffled voices echoed from the other side, followed by a loud click. The hinges screamed and sparks flew as the massive door opened. I stepped inside once the opening was large enough to fit me through, ordering the door be closed once I passed. Cold concrete met my bare feet and rumbled as my packmates sealed us in. The room was filled with rows of wooden bunk beds and shelves of food and supplies at the far end, lit up by a column of light streaking the ceiling. not the coziest place, but it was more than enough to survive.

"Cade! You made it." Angel spoke from behind as I laid down Ava onto the bed, careful to not reopen her wound.

"Kyra-

- I'm here." My heart skipped a beat as the old Healer seemed to have materialized out of thin air beside me, focusing immediately onto Ava's wound.

Stepping aside, I watched her work. "She's been shot. Might be a silver bullet-

- She'd be dead if that were the case. Hold her up." I obeyed, kneeling down and held Ava upwards while Kyra removed her blood stained dress. "Good. I can take it from here, but do get yourself some clothes- I need to focus."

Although wolves were no stranger to nudity, her comment managed to spark a slight sense of self-awareness at the back of my mind. Silently, I headed for the wardrobes, slipping on a fresh pair of black jeans and a grey shirt. Taking an extra tank top and pants, I buckled my belt then walked over to Kyra to check on Ava, pleased to see her wound had been bandaged up. With the Healer's help, we slipped her into the new clothes then tucked her safely under the covers.

"She'll be fine." Kyra commented, cleaning her hands in a water filled bucket. "It may take her a few days at best before she's able to change form, she'll need someone to carry her until then.

- I'll take care of that." I chimed in, sitting onto the opposite bed to catch my breath. Brushing my fingers through my hair, I winced as ash and dirt tugged on my scalp; I wonder if there's any showers here.

I gazed up, only noticing now how eerily quiet the room had been. Sweeping my gaze across the room, I counted the number of wolves present; me, Ava, Angel, Kyra, Zak, Ryder... my heart sank into my chest.

"Anyone else showed up?"

Ryder sighed from his bed across the room. "No... It's been dead quiet until you came by.