Chapter 3 - The hatbox

*.:。.✿.。:.*

*.:。.✿.。:.*

"Remus, where's my-"

"Toothbrush? In the draw under the sink."

"You know it's really freaky when you do that, right?"

"I think it's cute."

"Thank you Prongs."

"Shut up Moony."

Layla was staying in the boys' dorm, as she did whenever there was conflict in her own room. She was stood leaning against the door to the bathroom brushing her teeth, wearing one of Remus' Queen t-shirts and a pair of pyjama shorts. She hopped over to the sink to spit, then washed her face. Replacing the brush in the draw, she walked back into the room and sat on Peter's empty bed, hugging her knees.

"All I'm saying is that if you don't get her by the end of say- this year, then you might want to.. start looking for someone else." Said Sirius. The conversation had moved onto Lily, as it generally did.

"But I don't want someone else," moaned James from the floor, where he was sat cross-legged polishing his broomstick "I love Lily!" He looked up and noticed Layla, who had been watching silently from the far side of the room. "Layla, you live with her, would you say I had a chance?"

Layla shuffled slightly, it wasn't that Lily didn't like James. It was more of the fact that she wouldn't.

"I'm not going to give in," she had said a few weeks ago while they were studying in the library "I'm not going to give him the satisfaction that he won." Layla had thought about this a couple of times, and it seemed to her like maybe James' charm was beginning to wear her best friend down, and maybe it was the thought of this that made her put her defences back up. She could understand why Lily didn't want James, what with all the pestering and yearning and things, but Layla privately thought that if this was happening to her she would've said yes in a heartbeat.

"Well," began Layla hesitantly "I think she could come around, but she's just too stubborn to see it right now. I say you try to.. lessen the declarations of eternal love for at least a month and see how it goes. She might find she misses it and boom! Realises she's been in love with you the whole time." She finished with a flourish.

Remus was nodding politely, Sirius had put a pillow over his own head but James was looking positive.

"So what you're saying," said James carefully "is that I need to ignore her?"