44 - Fool That I Am

"Can you believe it?" Kat cried dramatically, raising her golden champagne flute into the air. "Our last dance!"

Sienna groaned. Her pursed lips were painted like wine, a deep, seductive shade that rivaled the cherry red of her dress. "Thank the Lord."

Kat pouted right back, setting down her glass next to her mask. "Don't be like that. This is a big deal!"

Neither Sienna, Chontelle, or I returned her excitement.

The air was thick in Sienna's bedroom as we primped and primed for the Masquerade Dance. I hadn't spoken to Chontelle for days, through no lack of trying on her end. And it took every ounce of my strength to hold my cutting tongue when Sienna dared to bring up her reunion with Nate. Something was definitely going on with Kat, who made little secret of the fact that she'd started drinking again. I was yet to figure out the cause of her stress; between the liar and the Lolita, I had my hands full.

An uncharacteristically quiet Chontelle lounged on Sienna's four-poster bed, dressed to the nines in a slinky black gown that hugged her supermodel curves in all of the right places. Or in all of the wrong places, considering Briar would be chaperoning.

"That's pretty," she spoke up, tracing a hand along her neck while staring at the dainty chain on mine. "Is it new?"

I took a sip from my glass to avoid looking at her. "No."

Her hand fluttered away with my stony response, the two of us lulling back into awkward silence while Kat and Sienna took the reins of conversation.

Though not before throwing each other a puzzled glance.

"Girls?" Nate queried from down the hall. "How long?"

"Coming, baby," Sienna called back, adding one more flick of eyeliner to her flawless smokey eye. She reached for her clutch and spun on her heels, motioning for us to follow her.

I didn't need to be told twice.

Just as I was about to slip out the door, Sienna lifted a hand to halt me in place. "Actually, wait here. I want to get pictures of us on my balcony."

I sighed, complying. Even I had to admit that that would make a cute photo.

But within a matter of seconds, Kat had gathered her layers of orange tulle to squeeze past me into the corridor, slamming Sienna's door right in my face while the click of the lock informed me that I'd been trapped inside.

"What the hell?" I called through the wood, anxiety rising to my chest.

Kat muttered something incomprehensible on the other side to which Sienna replied, "As long as it takes."

My heart thudded, anxiety crashing like waves.

Was this the culmination of Sienna's ultimate plan? Locking me in her bedroom during the biggest night on Irvine's social calendar?

It was awful, sure—but I'd expected a little more.

"Elle?" a meek voice uttered behind me, shattering my admittedly outlandish theory like glass.

I groaned. It wasn't just me who had been locked inside Sienna's room. Worse. I was trapped with Chontelle.

"I'm sorry, Elle. I needed to talk to you."

"I don't think we should talk, Chon—"

"I know what you're thinking."

I couldn't help but scoff. "I don't think you do."

"It's not what you think," she pleaded again.

I turned to her, an eyebrow arched, causing her hopeful expression to falter.