Chapter 37: Like a Dove

It's been a two weeks.

It was the last week of January. I haven't gone out at all. My parents don't know anything and I refuse to tell them anything.

I got a call.

"Hey Elena. .  I wanna go  to bucks today. I just thought you might wanna come with me?" She asked.

"Oh Meredith I don't-."

"Come on Elena. It'll be fun. You need to  get out."  I stood in silence.

"Fine" I said. She squealed.

"Okay get ready I'll pick you up in an hour."

She said. I hung up. And got ready.

We walked into the bar and the music boomed. Dallas stood infront of us.

"Two pretty gals like you here alone in a place like this?" He asked handing us beers.

"Soda is on his way." Meredith said.

"What about you?" dallas asked.

"What about me?" I asked in confusion.

"Where's Steve? Or are you guys still split?" He asked.

"We're still split. I haven't seen him in a while. How is he?" I asked as I pushed a strand of hair behind my ear.

"He's real devastated. So whatever it was, he really feels bad Elena. He doesn't smile or laugh. Man, he barley even talks." He said.

I sighed looking down.

Meredith dragged me to the bar stools.

"Two tequilas please" she ordered. Dallas sat next to me and Sodapop finally arrived.

Sodapop wasn't the drinker or partier type. But he would agree to join Meredith at bucks.

"How are you?" He asked.

"I'm doing good." I answerd.

"What do you mean she's late? Well now what?" Bucks yelled.

"She said it might be around ten minutes? But she'll be here." Someone said.

"What's wrong man?" Dallas asked.

"The singers not here yet, what're we gonna do?" Buck replied.

I stared at him.

"I know how to sing." I said.

"You do?" Dallas, buck, and Sodapop asked confused.

"Yeah." I said shyly.

"Can you please sing. Maybe a song?" Buck asked. I nodded. I took off my jacket, revealing my red dress. I grabbed the microphone and sighed. Walking to the small stage.

"Okay guys can you play something soft and uplifting?" I asked.

They looked at me and nodded. They began playing. I waited a couple of seconds before singing.

"They say I'm like a dove that's lost in the largeness of this world. That I fly so high I'm not scared of the hawk. And no one ever could cut my wings, my liberty..."

"But they don't know about the pain, that I carry in my heart, thanks to an ungrateful love.."

I sang the chorus.

"Ever since you left far from my love, my soul fell asleep in pain. But if you come back my love, my love this passion starts to burn. Ever since you left far from my love, my soul fell asleep in pain. But if you come back my love, my love this passion starts to burn."

I took a deep breath and slowly danced around the stage.

"They say that during the night they see me singing in any place. And a lot of people who love me say the see me walking alone. That my heart is confused, from loving too much..."

I saw Steve. Standing there. I looked at him.

This next verse, was dedicated to him. So I stared at him.

"Ever since the day I saw his eyes, and a strong hug of his I felt. Ever since that day I don't know of me."

I continued dancing. Trying to a swallow back tears.

The other singer walked through the door.

"Ever since you left far from my love, my soul fell asleep in pain. But if you come back my love, my love this passion starts to burn. Ever since you left far from my love, my soul fell asleep in pain. But if you come back my love, my love this passion starts to burn."

I repeated that sentance a couple more times and then the song stopped.

I took a deep breath. Everyone was clapping. I left the microphone down and walked to where Meredith, soda and Dallas were.

"Wow, who woulda thought you can sing?" Dallas said.

I laughed, taking a sip from my tequila. I felt two fingers tap my back. I turned around and saw Steve.

"Can we talk?" He asked

I stared at him. I slowly nodded.

We walked outside. I stood there.

"Look Elena Im sorry. I know the way I left, it was bad and I know I didn't tell you what was happening. But god I can't bring myself to do it." He said.

I stared at him and said nothing.

"Elena. I love you. And this was a mistake. I didn't think what I was doing and god, I'm so sorry."

"Love don't give me stupid love excuses for me to love you. Every time that you get lost the days turn longer and the nights, into nightmares. You told me. You loved me, and the night was a witness of our passion." I said as I stood closer to him.

"Elena. I'm so sorry. I love you so much. I've always loved you. There's not a day where my heart doesn't beat for you." He said. He placed his hands on my face. And pulled me into a kiss.

I softly pulled away, instantly regretting it.

"You'll have to do more than just a kiss." I said. Walking away. And into the bar.