Chapter 38: Ask me For the Moon

I was in my room eating strawberries and reading a book when I heard some honking. Me being me, I looked out my window, but couldn't find anyone.

The sun was setting and it was chilly. I put on my cardigan and sat back down. I heard my window being hit. So I opened it and looked around. I saw Steve standing there, wearing his baseball bombers jacket. I couldn't help but smile just a little.

"Steve? What are you doing?" I asked. He looked at me.

"Come one I have something to show you." He said.

I stared at him and nodded. Closing my window and heading down the stairs. When I walked out I saw Steve looking at me. He was holding a single rose.

He looked at me and handed me the Rose. Grabbing my hand and leading us down the drive way. I smiled and he handed me a helmet, sitting down on his motorcycle. I sat behind him and grabbed on his waist.

"Where are we going?" I asked.

He looked back at me.

"That is for me to know, and you to find out." He said as he began driving.

——————————————————

When we finally arrived, the sun had already set. It wasn't cloudy so you could see the stars nicely. At first I didn't know where we were, but I then saw, That we were at the small hill where I had planned a picnic for us back we we first broke up. I took the helmet off and he walked me up the hill. When we got to the top, there were candles everywhere, and rose petals layed in the floor and around a blanket. The sight left me completely amused. I was shocked and I couldn't believe what I was seeing. It was like pulled out of a fairy tale. I gasped. But didn't say anything, because Steve began talking.

"You know I really don't know why I broke up with you. I mean I know why, but there were things I could've said and I could've done to not break up." He took me to a table and sat me down.

"The thought of loosing you Elena. Has me completely scared and terrified. I don't ever want to think about loosing you." He said. I stared at him.

"Steve- then why did you do it? You have me thinking the worst things possible about what I could've done to make you feel like leaving. And I just can't wrap my head around why you wanted to leave. Are you forgetting about me? Maybe that's the issue. Maybe we aren't as meant to be as I thought we were. Maybe it's best if you do forget about me- but I just can't wrap my head around it-."

He looked at me.

"Ask me for the days of the week. Ask me for silence, you know I have a lot of it. The only thing I want is for you to never leave me. Ask me for the moon and I swear I'll get it. Or maybe you want the prettiest rose. Ask me anything you want. But don't ever ask me to forget about you." He stared at me.

I looked at him.

"Ask me for the most expensive gift in the world.  I know this sounds absurd. But don't ask me something impossible, like forgetting about you. Or maybe ask me for the most amazing and perfect night. Or ask me to write your name in the middle of the moon. But never ask me to do something crazy. Like forgetting about you." I was now standing up. We were a few centimeters away. I could feel his breath hovering my lips. My lip quivered. His lips were dangerously close to mine.

He leaned in and whispered in my ear.

"I'll get you the moon. Or the prettiest rose, but don't ever ask me to forget you."

I closed my eyes.

He whispered in a hoarse voice.

"Kiss me." My breath hitched.

He was close to me. Too close. My body felt like the first time we ever kissed. Only this time, I knew I wanted this. I opened my eyes. He stared at me and traced his thumb softly over my lower lip. Then he simply kissed me.

My body froze up. Then after a fraction of a second, I wrapped my hand around his waist, but I slowly moved my fingers to the hem of his shirt. My fingers went under, and I felt his warm skin. He slowly slid his hand towards my neck. He threaded his fingers around my hair and gave it a slight tug. Soon after he pulled away and pressed our foreheads together. I was still mesmerized.

Unable to open my eyes. I slowly sighed and I couldn't believe it.

He handed me a letter.

"I just couldn't bring myself to tell you. And I thought it was best to break up with you. So I wouldn't hurt you." He said quietly. I pulled from the hug and oppened the letter.

My smile faded.

"Steve. You're getting drafted?"