Ch 1

Ch. 1

The dull beats and rapid-fire Celtic instrumentals droned on in Kelin's ears. Mist, thrown up by the passing cars, hung in the air as if suspended in slow motion, drenching and clinging to those walking on the sidewalk. His hoodie was damp, as was his long-black hair, but he had sealed his phone in a plastic bag, Bluetooth headset protected by his thick collar. It was a miserable evening. With the weather, teachers had canceled class, leaving him stymied for something to do. His sketchbook, notes, and folders weighed heavily on his shoulder within the thick, black nylon backpack, his faded Adidas shoes at least cleaner thanks to the water.

 His sketchbook, notes, and folders weighed heavily on his shoulder within the thick, black nylon backpack, his faded Adidas shoes at least cleaner thanks to the water

He watched his own feet for a while, noticing how his toes kicked out every time, sending small trails of water flying. He nodded his head along to the music; a mixture of bagpipes, guitar, flute, and drums hammered into his ears, keeping his spirits light even if he felt down. Maybe it was just the weather. He had heard that listening to music could cause one's mood to shift if it could be matched to mundane activities, like cleaning or jogging. He wished he could slip on his running shoes, but the idea of going home, just to dump off his bag and change into his workout clothes that he brought with him, and go back out when it was so grey and wet wasn't appealing enough. Besides, running in the city wasn't safe. He couldn't predict if the downpour from yesterday would resume, or if there was a good route to go on. He definitely needed something to distract him.

Passing a long line of storefronts, he paused and looked through the windows. One was a Pet store, which always seemed a slightly odd idea to him, given that the proprietor was an Anthro. The grey-furred Wolf was standing idly behind his glass desk, looking bored, with glasses perched on the tip of his lupine muzzle and leaning on the counter, reading his phone. The sounds of yapping puppies and the caws of birds were audible even through the glass. Shrugging, Kelin readjusted his headphones and moved on to the next store. He had to sidestep as the door opened, and a pair of much older Feline women came out, struggling to open an umbrella. As wizened as they were, the pair of Anthros were still almost even with his shoulder. He gave them what he hoped was a polite smile, no teeth, like the sensitivity training had said to do. They returned the gesture, so he felt a little better.