Chaoter 39: Its Too Late Now

He stared at me.

"Steve." I said as I looked at him and read the letter again and again. I sat on the chair.

"Steve this is from a month ago. How long were you planning to hide it?" I asked

He didn't say anything.

"Goddammit Steve! Does Meredith know? Does soda know?" I asked.

"Sodapop is getting drafted too."

"Does Meredith know?" I asked as my eyes filled with tears.

"Yes." He said. I slapped my hand on the table. "And I'm the only one who doesn't know? Steve. Why? Why did you hide this away from me?" I yelled.

He stared at me.

"Because Elena. We were doing so good that I just couldn't stand breaking your heart by telling you I'm going off to war. Because I'm here shaking. Not knowing if I'll get to marry you ever. Not knowing if I'll ever come back alive. Elena. I couldn't do this to you-."

"And so you thought it was best if you left me and do this by yourself?" I asked as I stood up.

"No Steve. We're in this together. I'm not gonna let you go out there alone. You have to know that I'll always be there. Waiting for you until you come back. And Steve. You better not fucking die. Cause that would be the worst breakup ever." I said as I finally spilled to tears. He simply came up to me and hugged me.

"Dammit. Don't cry. This is making this much harder." He said.

"How long do we have?" I asked.

"Until the end of February." He smiled.

"Steve. You smile when you lie." I said.

"A week after Valentine's Day" he said.

"Well. Let's make the best of it." I said as I stared at him.