one - intro

fifth grade, first encounter.

"hey, give it back!" korra shrieked as she jumped, struggling to take her lunchbox from asamis hands. asami had always been a few inches taller, even in elementary.

asami pouted. "why? im hungry too! i left my lunch at home. you can't share half of your sandwich with me?"

korra huffed. "no! why would i give my lunch to a bully?"

"i'm gonna starve and it'll all be your fault. hate me all you want, but you don't want me to die because of you, do you?"

korra paused for a moment. "well, no, but-"

asami put a finger to her lips. "uh uh! no buts. you said no."

asami handed the smaller girl the lunch box.

"open up."

korra opened it roughly and pulled out the pb&j her mom had prepared for her. she pulled the sides of the sandwich and ripped it, giving whatever piece to asami, just to make her go away.

"uh uh.  i want to compare the sizes." causing a huff from korra.

"just take the bigger piece! i dont care." korra said and lightly pushed the taller girl.

"fine. i'll go. thank you for the sandwich." asami smirked and walked away. finally seeing as she was far away enough, she let out a breath she was holding, her heart pumping fast and ears ringing.

asami didn't know what was going on with her. it was the first week of 2nd grade and she's sure she's met the prettiest, nicest girl ever. korra walked into the classroom with the biggest smile on her face carrying her lunchbox proudly, making asami feel something inside.

but, asami never learned how to express her feelings or show affection. her dad had always been working and rarely got to see her. her mother, well, died. its been hard for both ever since. because of this, she didn't know how to come up and start a conversation with korra. she meant to ask for a piece of the sandwich but it came out wrong and now korra most definitely hates asami's guts.

-

eighth grade

"hey." asami said in a low tone as she leaned against the wall.

korra dropped her pencil in annoyance. "what do you want?"

asami fake gasped. "what? i can't say hello to my favorite person in the entire world?" to be fair, asami wasn't lying. but she didn't know how to tell her that.

"you never say hi without doing something stupid or taking something from me. what is it?"

"well," asami laughed and sat down in the chair next to korra. "now that you brought it up."

korra rolled her eyes.

"since you're a math genuis and all, i want you to help me with the homework miss beifong assigned. its due by tomorrow and i haven't started it."

"no."

asami was taken aback. "excuse me?"

"you heard me, i said no."

"it wasn't a question. i was informing you you were gonna help me with the homework." she said and pulled the homework from her backpack.

"do one through seventeen. since im not a total asshole, i'll do the remaining 6. meet me before beifong's by the bathrooms. see you tomorrow princess."

"dumbass," korra whispered and facepalmed. "you let her take control once again."

-

korra had her arms crossed in front of her chest as she waited for asami, getting impatient. she wondered why she even did the work. hell, she finished the assigment even though asami told her she'd finish the rest.

she waited  5 more minutes and sighed. i'll just give it to her during lunch. she thought to herself. she was about to leave the building until a familiar voice called her.

"hey."

korra sighed and turned around, ready to get thrown any dumb remarks or stupid pet names. "here's the stupid work."

asami took it from her hands and looked it over, gasping. "you did it all?"

korra looked down, shuffling her feet. "well yeah, it was pretty easy and im sure you didnt wanna finish-"

asami cut her off with a hug, lifting the smaller girl off the floor and spinning her around.

"let me go!" korra shrieked as she tried to break away from asami's embrace, though, she secretly liked it. asami was warm. i could get used to this she thought.

asami quickly regained conscious of what she was doing and immediately set her down, scratching the back of her neck. "whatever. thanks i guess." and with that, asami turned her heel and walked away, a smile forming as she played the moment over in her head. the way she could feel korra's heartbeat. korra's warmth. the way their bodies naturally fit perfect together.

"that was weird." korra mumbled as she turned around and headed for her first period. but, same as asami, the memory continued to play in her head, wishing it'd last longer.

-

"korra!"

her head flipped around and she was greeted by a familiar face, sokka. sokka had been her best friend since 3rd grade. he's been with her even through asami's bullying and defended her many times. the two didn't really have any other friends besides themselves, but that was okay. they had enough fun with just the other around.

"hm?"

"i saw," sokka paused for a moment and put his hands on his knees, panting. "i saw asami hugging you this morning. doesnt she, ya know, hate you and all?" confusion written all over his face.

korra blushed lightly at the memory. "i finished all of her homework instead of-"

sokka gasped. "are you blushing?"

"what? no? why would i! i hate her!" her voice didn't sound too convincing.

he gasped once more and leaned in. "do you like asami?"

she took a step back. "no! i don't like girls, much less asami." Lie. "it's just the first hug i've gotten in a while, and she gives great hugs." Another lie.

sokka blinked, staring deadpan at her. "are you sure? listen, i dont care if you like girls. me and you could talk about girls all day." sokka nudged her shoulder and wiggled his eyebrows.

"sokka, i dont, okay? i just liked her hug. thats all."

he stared at her for a moment. "well okay. but if you do." he nudged her side one last time.

korra lightly hit the boy. "drop it, you dummy."

"ow! i was just kidding."

-
heyy this is kind of like an intro to da story or sumn idk what imma do with it yet . the next 2 or so chapters r kinda gonna b like flashbacks to show what asami did to korra before going into the present <3

i didnt edit this bear with me!!!!!