ONE

┌────────────────────────┐
wasted times
└────────────────────────┘

┌────────────────────────┐wasted times└────────────────────────┘

( day sixty-seven )

THERE WAS NEVER A TIME IN CLARKE WILEY'S LIFE WHERE SHE EVER HAD TO SEARCH FOR A MISSING CHILD.

If she was being honest, there never was a time in her life when she thought she'd have to.

That was before.

Sophia Peletier had run away. From what exactly, Clarke didn't know for sure, but she could hazard a guess however, and say it was most definitely walkers. It made sense, even as horrible as it was to think about. Sophia had gotten scared, or cornered, maybe even chased? Most people, Clarke assumed, would try to bolt after that— and that's exactly what Sophia must've done. Clarke didn't want to think of the other thing that might've happened. . .

They had been searching for hours and Clarke was beginning to grow annoyed. Maybe it was the exhaustion kicking in from lack of sleep, or the way her feet ached and rubbed uncomfortably within her boots, or maybe it was just the way her long golden hair stuck to her neck sweatily from the unbearable Georgia heat. If she was being honest, nearly everything was starting to tick the young girl off.

But maybe the most annoying thing above all was that they still hadn't found the Peletier girl yet. The kind girl who reminded Clarke so much of her kid sister, Kass. It made the older girl feel physical pain to think that Sophia could've suffered the same fate as that overly happy little eight year old.

No. They were going to find her. They had to.

By the time Clarke had swatted the fifth fly away from her face she had wanted to cry out in hysterics. They had been walking for hours and hours and found absolutely nothing. She was tired and thirsty— her canteen had run dry a good two hours into the search but she was too embarrassed and stubborn to ask for a drink from somebody else's. It didn't help that Clarke had convinced herself that they were walking in circles either. Everything just looked so goddamn similar!

"You tired?" Glenn's voice asked her as her pace fell into step with his. She wanted nothing more to nod her head at him, but there was no way in hell she'd ever voice her stupid complaints when they were out looking for a missing child, especially with Carol standing so close by. Clarke loved that woman more than words could admit. They were like family in every single way, so, in respect to her mother figure there would be no complaining or insensitive commentary coming from the young girl's mouth today.

"No," a small faux smile tugged at the corners of her pink lips.

"So, what then?" The older boy pressed, playfully bumping his shoulder into Clarke's and watching in glee as she stumbled off slightly. "You thinking about Miles? Is that it?"