The Prestidigitators

"So how is this gonna work?" Amity asked, ever the worrier. looking at all the supplies spread out on the table. A laptop in front of Luz, some paper and pencils for Amity.

Luz shrugged casually, Luz was never much one for forethought. "I'd just thought we'd brainstorm the things we want!" Luz said chipper as usual.

Amity sighed, of course Luz was laid-back about this. Her flexibility is part of what made them work together so well. "Well I don't know much of human marriage customs" Amity said sort of defeatedly. Though she had tried for the past 6 years to learn as much of human culture as possible it was a difficult process. Books were often contradictory, or out of date, or sometimes they didn't go into as much detail as she'd like. Amity had given up reading about culture and customs a couple years ago when she attempted to eat pizza with a fork and knife at Gus's weekly DnD Night. Since it had been planned weeks in advance she thought the occasion was classified as a formal dinner. The memory still kept her up at night sometimes. Since then she'd just gone with the flow and done what others were doing. That had worked out pretty well for the most part since then. In hindsight she probably should've just started there. But copying others only worked so well when you were hanging out with Luz and other banished witches for the most part.

Amity was familiar with one part of the human marriage custom though. Luz had proposed to her at Disneyworld a week ago. Amity had known she was going to do it, but she wasn't familiar with the custom so the fore-knowledge didn't do her much good. Luz went all out, rigging fireworks to go off at the exact right time, playing the exact right song, matching that silly dance they'd done so many years ago footstep for footstep, including the incredibly seductive dip and catch, sliding a matching set of rings on their fingers. Just the memory of the night made Amity fall in love with Luz all over again.

"Customs Shmustoms" Luz responded absentmindedly. Luz had little respect for tradition even in adulthood. According to most of her extended family she shouldn't be marrying Amity at all. "This is just supposed to be fun! The only requirement is a declaration of undying love!" Luz looked at Amity's still worried face. "You do still love me right?" Luz asked with mock worry.

Amity rolled her eyes, how would she know she were engaged if Luz didn't remind her multiple times a day. As long as they'd been dating Luz would ask if Amity still loved her. The answer hadn't changed in 6 years. "Of course I love you, Luz" Amity said automatically. Amity never got tired of saying that. Never.

"Love you too babe" Luz chirped back immediately, her trick having worked. Amity looked a lot more comfortable. "Anyways fun stuff first" Luz decided on the spot. "Let's decide on what we're wearing!" Luz turned her laptop towards Amity to show a mock-up of a half-tuxedo half-wedding dress she'd been designing. "What do you think of that for me?" Luz said and looked to her bride-to-be expectantly.

Amity nodded, the design was reminiscent of what she wore on their first dance, back when they were still just kids.
Luz decided Amity wasn't sufficiently excited. "Or I can wear that old otter costume," Luz said contemplatively.

Amity scoffed. "I'm not marrying an otter"

Luz smiled and laughed. "Darn right you're not" she responded.

Amity thought for a second "well if you're gonna wear a tux on the top and a skirt on the bottom i'll wear Slacks on the bottom and the top of a wedding dress" Amity said testing the waters.

Luz's eyes grew wide and Amity was satisfied with the reaction.

"That'd Be perfect!" she practically screamed.

Amity smiled but covered her ears.

"Sorry" Luz said sheepishly.

Luz noticed the genuine smile had slipped on Amity's face. It had slipped to the polite smile Amity wore when she was thinking about something else. Something not in the room. Luz took the opportunity to slide her chair right beside Amity's. After a sufficiently long period of time in Luz's opinion she interrupted Amity's spacing-out. "Whatchya thinkin about?" Luz probed gently.