45. MIRACLES - ✭LUKE✭

I'd spent the better part of a week in the makeshift hospital at the training facility. Dr. Cauldon had miraculously fixed me up. I don't know how he'd done it because the moment I'd felt that blade jam between my ribs it was like my entire life force slipped away from me. I'd looked back and saw Malyssa's horrified gaze and new death was finally coming for me.

She'd ran over to me and cradled me in her arms, looking down on me with pure torment etched into her features. I'd wanted to make all that pain go away in ways that only I knew how. My Malyssa, my dominant woman, breaking down in sadness was the last thing I'd wanted to see before I met Lucifer in the underworld. I'd wanted to tell her it was okay, that I loved her, all the sorts of things one should say before they leave this world. But I couldn't because I was dying.

The loud sound of a gun going off was the last thing I'd heard before my loss of consciousness. When I'd awoken the repetitive beeping sound of a machine was the first thing I'd heard. The second thing had been Denver's elated voice.

He'd came up and caressed my face tenderly, wiping my matted hair off of my forehead. He'd called me an idiot, saying he couldn't believe I'd risked my life going after that sadist and I'd had to laugh. If there was anything that I was particularly good at it was going after sadists. Killing one wasn't usually the end goal though.

"You alright?" Denver asks, as I bend over to pick up my bag with a sharp wince. "Let me take that fucking thing." He stalks over and grabs it from me in irritation. "No need to over exert yourself when I'm right here."

"Thank you. Uhm, so, where's Malyssa?" I look around the room one more time, trying not to let the disappointment get to me. Not that I didn't want Denver here but with her missing I felt like I was also missing apart of myself.

"Oh, she's at home." He looks away from me quickly for some reason or another. "Well, at your house, I mean."

"Yeah, I got what you meant, Denver."

He nods his head to the door saying, "alright then, let's go."

Once we make it to the SUV he helps me up until I'm in the passenger seat. I would usually hate the fact that Denver practically picked my entire body up like a child but I am in so much pain. I could hardly give a single fuck what any of the guys here think about me anymore anyway. My sexuality is my business, no one else's. Nearly dying can make you reevaluate the things you'd once found important; like people caring I sleep with another man.

"So, I know she's not here but don't be too mad at her." He starts up the vehicle. "She's getting her rest because she hasn't been feeling too good over the past few days. The doc put her on bed rest."

"What do you mean?" I ask worriedly, panic starting to get to me. If I know anything about Malyssa it's that she'll say she's fine even when she isn't. "Is she okay? Does she need to come back to see Dr. Cauldon? Why did you leave her if you thought she wasn't okay? What if she—"

"Jesus, Luke, calm down." He reaches over and grabs my thigh in reassurance. It's a gesture I would've once cringed away from but I don't now. "You'll see, she's more than fine."

"She was stabbed in the stomach, Denver. I'm sure she's not more than fine." I grimace at him and his expression falters before going back to the road. He's seemingly remembered what happened the last time she was stabbed in the stomach. It's not his fault for that though, any of this at all for that matter. This was my and Malyssa's burden and he's carried it right along with us. "I'm sorry, Denver. I didn't mean to snap at you." I let out a long sigh. "It's just you know how she is. She'll say she's fine and then..." I toss both of my hands in the air to reiterate my meaning.