47 | I do

The hike took all energy out of me, and I end up falling asleep on the way back home. I wake up just as we arrive, a frown quickly appearing on my face.

"I don't remember leaving the lights on", I say as I detach my face from the cold window, my voice still sleepy, noticing how the entire ground floor of the house is lit when I'm positive the lights were not on when we left earlier today.

"I probably left them on", Brad answers, brushing it off as he parks in front of the house. No, something's wrong. He's about to leave the car but I grab his forearm before he can.

"I'm 100% sure they were not on, Brad", I say, starting to panic at the idea of a stranger robbing the AirBnB we're staying at. What if it's a crazy fan who found out where we are? That seems pretty unlikely but I can't stop myself from thinking the worst. "There's someone inside", I add, making Brad laugh for some reason.

"There's no one inside babe", he says, still chuckling at my comment. "Come on, let's get you warmed up", he adds before leaving the car and coming to open my door. I reluctantly leave the car and follow him to the front door, still holding the blanket around me, feeling my heart start to race in my chest. Brad puts the key in the lock and just as he's about to open it, I stop him and quickly pick up a thick stick from the ground, earning a mocking smile from Brad. "Babe, I'm telling you there's no one here", he says, still laughing before grabbing the stick from my hands. "But good to know you'd save us with a stick", he adds before throwing the stick back to the ground and opening the door. I stay close to him as we enter, one hand holding the blanket while the other literally holds on to his bare chest, my face glued to his back. "Em", I suddenly hear, making me open my eyes that I didn't even realize were closed. "Em, babe you can relax there's no one here", he adds and I finally loosen my grip on him, detaching myself from his back and I'm suddenly hit by a smell of fresh food, making my eyebrows furrow. What the heck? What's going on? It takes me a second to notice the flowers, gold and silver helium balloons and burning candles scattered around the house and I instantly bring my hands to my face in shock, the blanket falling to the floor.

"Happy one year, baby", Brad says with the cutest smile as he takes a step towards me and places his hands on my now bare waist while I take in what's happening. He didn't forget after all. "You really thought I forgot, didn't you?", he adds, an amused smile on his lips. I simply nod, unable to speak at this point. "You okay?", he laughs at my reaction, making me smile too. I move my hands from covering my mouth and place them on either side of his face before kissing him, making him feel all the love I have for him. Brad smiles through our kiss, his fingers digging into my waist, pressing me onto him. My arms move to around his neck as I deepen our kiss, willing to feel all of him. I can't believe he organized this without me noticing. I mean, I noticed he was acting weird lately, but I really wasn't expecting this.

"How?", I ask after detaching myself from him, still stunned. "How did you organise this?", I add, making him smile.

"I had a little help", he answers before grabbing my hand and dragging me to the kitchen where pots are resting on the stove, still burning hot. The strong smell of potatoes and salmon makes it clear someone has just been here cooking for us. Brad lifts up the lid of one pot, me on his toes and digs his finger in the mashed potatoes filling it. I watch him lick his finger, my stomach rumbling with hunger as I realize I didn't have any food today.

"Who cooked?", I ask while Brad puts the lid back on before checking the oven where two fillets of salmon are roasting.

"I told you, I had a little help", he says, eluding the question and staying too vague in my opinion. "How about you go take a shower and I'll finish getting this ready", he adds and I nod. The quickest I'm all cleaned up, the quickest we'll get to eat. Because I'm literally starving. I leave Brad to do whatever he's going to do in the kitchen and go to the bathroom after grabbing some clean clothes from my suitcase in our bedroom. I stay under the piping hot water for probably too long, getting rid of all the mud in my hair and getting the warmth I've been deprived of the entire afternoon until I hear Brad entering the room. Well, lucky it's only the two of us in the house as the open Italian shower leaves little to the imagination with its glass walls. A grin quickly appears on his lips as his eyes make contact with my naked body and he gets out his workout shorts before joining me in the shower. I turn around to face him, his hands quickly finding their way to my lower back as he reduces the space between us to basically nothing while my hands move to his face, pushing his now dripping hair away from his eyes. I can't erase the dumb happy smile that sits on my lips at the sight of the man who makes me the happiest person on earth.