46

guys i'm back now (for a while), so make sure you comment, share, vote, etc.

-

Emily's POV

My eyelids are heavy, as I feel a bony hand press my shoulder over and over again.

"Emily, you have to get up," I hear my mothers voice. "You have about an hour to get ready, and I suggest you hurry," I rub my eyes, accidentally smudging my makeup.

"Shit," I muttered under my breath. This leads to a scold from my mom, before she exits my room, shutting the door behind her.

I get up, looking around for a moment. My dress in hung up on my closet door, the heat from the air vent making the ends move slightly. Beside it, on my dresser, my phone is faced up, the screen lighting up.

I make my way over to my phone, unlocking it as I do so.

I have a few texts from Liam, which make me smile.

One of them tells me that he's getting released from the hospital tonight, but he has to rest until morning. The other tells me he loves me, and I can't help but smile at the good news.

I text back, telling him that's very good news, and I we would be able to see each other soon. I add a smiley face, before telling him about my plans for tonight, and I have to go so I could get ready. I hit the send button, locking my phone and setting it back down in its previous spot.

I start with fixing my smudged makeup, and then adding a little more on in certain places.

Then, I changed out of my clothes, putting a strapless bra on, and black underwear to match. Slowly and carefully, I took the dress out of the plastic case it came in. I put it on, shouting for my mother since I couldn't zip the back.

She opens my door, and walks over to me.

"Zip the back please?" I ask her, and she instructs me to suck in my stomach, so I can get a tight fit. I can feel my cheeks heat up, and the mention of this, but I don't say anything.

"Thanks," I whisper, smoothing the dress out. It looked beautiful, and my mother agreed, standing by my side.

"That's the beautiful young lady I raised." She exclaimed. I know she didn't mean any harm in her words, but I know she was only saying it because I was in a pretty dress.

I smile in return, before she nods, and exits my room.

Now I just have to tame my hair, and do something with it, before we can leave.

-

The restaurant was full of laughing and small chats. The clinking of wine glasses were also heard in the distance, as a waiter led my mother and I to a table near the back. There were 2 open chairs, as I sat across from my mother.

"Jake and his father should be arriving soon," My mother says, and as on cue, I see Jake and his father walk towards our table.

"Evening, Mrs. Smith," Jake smiles warmly at her, before my mother returns the greeting to his father. Jake takes a seat next to me, while his father sits next to my mother.

"Emily, amazing to see you," Jake smiles at me, his hand resting on my thigh under the table, for no one to see.

"Yeah," I breathe in sharply. "You too," Jake pats my thigh, before smiling again, and picking up his menu.

"May I take your order?" A young man says, holding a pen and paper.

"Water for the adults, and water-" My mother starts to say, but i interrupt her.

"Coke," I say.

"Okay, water for the adults, and coke for the teens," He takes note, and I grimace at the use of his words.

Jake nods, seeming okay with that.

"And your main dish?" He asks, looking up at my mother.

"We're all going to have the lobster, with a side of coleslaw and a Caesar salad.

My mother finally did something right, knowing I liked lobster.

-

Our food comes after a bit, and we all eat while my mother talks to Richard, Jakes father, hopelessly flirting with him.

I sip on my coke, feeling eyes stare at me.

"You look lovely," Jake states, our parents not listening as they make their own small chat.

I look around, making sure he was talking to me, before saying thanks.

"Really good," He says lowly, smirking at me. I scoff in my head, knowing Liam could do so much better than that.

"Yeah," I trail off, taking a bite of my last piece of lobster.

"We should hang out after this." Jake simply states, licking his lips as his eyes rake over my body.

"Um, I'm really sorry but I'm so busy," I lie, not knowing what else to say, as I can feel my cheeks heat up.

"Let's not forget how we used to date, Emma. I know when you're lying." My stomach drops, when he calls me Emma.

"You know not too call me Emma," Tears brim my eyes, and I grit my teeth at him.

"Oops," He says. "Sorry, Emma."

"Stop being such an ass!" I shriek, gaining attention from our parents, and a few tables near us.

"Emily, why the outburst?" Jake seems confused, and I mentally curse at him.

I feel a hot tear roll down my cheek, and my mother gives me a stern look.

"He's calling me what dad used to call me, and only dad," I say. "You know it's a touchy subject," I whisper to my mom, and she nods in understanding.

"We'll talk about this later," She says, smiling over at Jake and his father, who is completely lost.

I get up in frustration, grabbing my belongings, and storming out of the place.

"I stand on the busy street of Detroit, completely ignoring my mothers screams.

"Hey!" I yell at a taxi driver, who stops next to me. I quickly hop in, as the car speeds past Jake, who's staring at me.

I sigh, covering my hand with my mouth.

The memories of my father flood back to me.