i can't breathe

info

characters: darryl, vincent, zak

platonic, not sure how to describe

tw: panic attack, mentions of anxiety, slight dissociation? 

// a6d

a/n

this is the chapter i wrote a while ago with a6d in it. kind of a filler chapter as i'm not feeling great this week. this is not the best chapter so i'm sorry for that. i don't really like this chapter but i hope you guys don't absolutely hate it. ily guys <3

end

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*✧·゚:*  zak  *:·゚✧

i don't know what's wrong with me. my chest has felt tight for the past half hour. every breath hurts. i just want it to stop. trying to ignore it, i continue to watch the movie playing out in front of me. i grit my teeth in hopes it'll distract me from the sharp pains in my chest. i can tell vincent knows something is up. he's sitting next to me, blissfully unaware of the torture i'm enduring. that doesn't mean he doesn't suspect anything.

"you must really hate this movie eh?" he asks playfully. i look in his direction and force a smile. i nod at him, not wanting to speak. his smile falters, and he turns back to the tv. i do as well, and feel that my mind and body are disconnected. i'll make a movement, and not fully register it until a moment later. it feels like i'm one step behind myself. i hate this.

"okay zak i know something is wrong," vincent finally confronts me, and i notice him hit pause on the movie. i hadn't noticed until now how heavily i'm breathing. how little air it feels like i'm taking in. i look over to my friend, who's now looking at me in concern. for some reason this makes me feel worse, knowing that vincent is onto me now.

"i can't-" a small sob escapes my lips, cutting me off. vincent is taken aback, and at this point he's sitting up and facing me completely. "i can't breathe." i stare at my friend, silently pleading him to help.

"can i?" he asks simply, stretching his arms out. i nod desperately, unable to speak. my ears are ringing, drowning out his voice. drowning out the sound of him calling for darryl. i don't realize he's coming towards me until i can only feel arms wrap tightly around me. my eyes are closed by now, and i can feel tears in them.

"what do- zak!"

darryl sounds alarmed as he takes in the scene in front of him. my eyes are still shut. i feel like i'm underwater. sounds are muffled, my vision is blurry, and i can't seem to get air properly into my lungs. it's not as if this all came out of nowhere, but the intensity of my feelings are definitely new.

i feel vincent let go of me and get up off of the couch. my eyes shot open and i was met with the sight of darryl taking his place. vincent was nowhere to be seen. darryl engulfed me in a warm hug and i finally feel the tears that were pooling in my eyes leak down my face.

"it's okay, i'm right here. i'm not leaving."

i let myself listen to him. his voice isn't as muffled as it was moments ago. i lift my shaking arms and wrap them around my friend as well. a wordless thank you.

"hey, back," vincent declares. he's quieter than he usually is. i feel darryl lift his head to look at vincent.

"just set them there. could you turn the lights off?"

i can hear much more clearly now. confusion is now joining with my fear. what are they doing?

"what?" i inquire tiredly. darryl's grip on me loosens, and i stop hugging him. he looks at me and suddenly i grow embarrassed. my chest is still tight, and the anxiety is certainly not gone, but i'm feeling much better now. the worst of it is over, but i know i won't be back to normal for a while.

"vin got blankets, we're gonna sleep out here with you!" darryl explains in his cheerful manner. tears well up in my eyes again, from happiness.

"th-thank you," i stammer, with a small smile. darryl flashes a grin at me. the lights flick off and i can hear footsteps coming towards the both of us.

"now, are you good? feeling better?" vincent asks, sounding genuinely worried. i swallow, and nod even though they can't see me.

"yeah, i'm good," i tell them.

"good. you scared me for a moment there zak," vincent scolds me teasingly. i chuckle quietly, ending with a large yawn. "here- take this." vincent hands me a blanket. i wrap it around me, burying my face in the soft fabric. i'm incredibly tired. no surprise.

darryl is passed a blanket as well, and the three of us sit in comfortable silence for a couple minutes. with another yawn, i smile softly.

"i love you guys," i mumble, eyes closing once more. i can feel vincent scoot closer to me and lean his body on mine, his head resting on my shoulder.

"we love you too zak," darryl replies, putting one arm around me, and the other on my chest. his head is on my other shoulder, and i can feel his breath on my neck. i sigh, relaxed and comfortable, cuddled up with my two best friends.