Aunt Amaya's Lost Bread

I

One of the things that made Callum so proud of his eidetic memory was remembering all of the details after hearing it once.

Like Aunt Amaya's Lost Bread recipe.

"The staler the bread, the greater the victory when I achieve my perfect recipe for Aunt Amaya's Lost Bread," he recalled his aunt signing. "Gren, go secure the ingredients from the travel rations. You know what I need."

"Of course," the commander replied. "Eggs, milk, salt, and - oh, right. I almost said your secret ingredient out loud."

Ever since they escaped from the Banther Lodge, Callum has been trying to solve the mystery behind his aunt's delicious breakfast recipe.

"Maybe the secret ingredient is Love?" Rayla snapped her fingers towards his direction. "You know, like the famous quote."

"I heard that a lot of people have tried to replicate her recipe with passion, so I highly doubt that's the case."

"Maybe it's pepper?" Ezran suggested. "Because pepper goes well together with salt?"

"How can we find pepper in this wilderness?" their elf companion gesticulated to their surroundings. "Not to mention peppercorns?"

The trio, who just survived from their river rafting fiasco, were huddling in front of their campfire for warmth, leaving their damp garments draped near the rocks to dry. Rayla stripped off everything except her inner camisole and teal leggings, while Callum wore nothing but his sleeveless red vest and boxers. Ezran, on the other hand, has no problems getting naked under his dark cloak.

Luckily, the dragon egg survived, as well as Callum's sketchbook and their weapon-grade baguettes.

"I'm sorry about what happened in the Banther Lodge," the older prince muttered with an abashed face. "I really do. I didn't mean to say those words to our aunt. It won't happen again, I promise."

"It's fine, Callum. I already forgave you," Rayla waved her hand dismissively, then glanced at the younger prince who gave her a meek smile. "And you two don't need to make amends by replicating your Aunt Amaya's Lost Bread," she emphasized with an air quote. "I'm sure it tastes nothing like Moonberry Surprise."

"Moonberry Surprise?" Ezran asked, tilting his head to the side. "What's in it?"

"It's a surprise, silly," the elf chuckled much to his confusion. "Once we reach Xadia, I will treat you with the best Moonberry Surprise on the entire continent."

.

.

.

II

While Rayla was recuperating, the princes decided to treat their friend with their Aunt Amaya's Lost Bread. Unfortunately, Lujanne didn't have any human foods stored in the Nexus since no one has ever lived or visited the place for hundreds of years.

"Ava and I can go downtown and fetch those ingredients for you," Ellis offered much to the princes' delight.

"You're a lifesaver, Ellis!" said Callum excitedly as he began to jot down the list on a piece of paper. "We need some eggs, milk, salt - "

"And pepper," Ezran added.

"And pepper," his brother wrote down. "And bread. Don't forget the bread. The staler the bread the better."

The young girl made a finger salute as she snatched the list from his hand. "Roger that, Chef mage!"

Chef mage, huh? the prince bemused at the thought.