six 🏐

The Tokyo Metropolis Interhigh Qualifiers stretched out for three weeks, with the matches only taking place on Sundays. On account that there is at least 180 teams participating in the tournament, the first day was solely dedicated to the first round of elimination.

The top 16 teams from the previous Kanto Tournament Qualifiers only play on the second day, starting on the third round. The fourth round and quarterfinals also happens on the same day. By the third day of the qualifiers, the top 4 teams would have round-robin matches and the school that wins the most matches ranks first. Aside from the two teams that comes out on the top that would advance to the Interhigh, this tournament would also be a recruiting ground for the National team.

During Miyako's time in Kurokishi, this would be the first time she'd be attending the first day of the qualifiers and that only meant one thing—they didn't get in the top 16 in the Kantou tournament. In fact, they didn't even made it past that tournament's qualifiers. Made captain on her third and final year in highschool and she can't even bring her team to the finals. She felt equal parts ashamed and frustrated. And with that frustration came the faint throbbing on her knees.

The Kurokishi High School girls' volleyball team walked the hallways of the Tokyo Metropolitan Gymnasium and into the main arena for the tournament's opening ceremony. The team's vice-captain, Fumuzuki Keiko, walked side by side a somber Miyako at the front of the group. Keiko worried for the effect this would have on the overall morale of the team but one look at her captain said that that shouldn't be their main concern right now. She gave her teammates a tight-lipped smiled and placed a gentle hand on Miyako's shoulder.

"Hey," Keiko said, "we got this, okay? You know we always do."

Their coach cast them a glance as they enter the crowded arena and noticed that the captain's dismal mood has spread over the team. Coach Shibasaki made it clear on last week's practice that his decision on the tournament's line up was final and wasn't up for any debate. He was also stern on reminding them that any prod on this decision would result on the permanence of the line up until the end of the season. No one brought it up since.

Attending this tournament broke Miyako's heart but she had to remind herself that she was the one to blame for that. She wanted to come here, even if it meant leaving this gymnasium more shattered that she already was. This burden was hers and hers alone—she won't let her teammates carry any of it.

Miyako straightened her back. She tried to recall every good memory she created with this club and came up with a smile she hasn't wore in a while. "I'm no good as a player right now but I'm with you today as captain and teammate. I know I can do that much." It was the first words she said that day and they all turn a hopeful look her way. Miyako held the team's gaze and her smile grew. "We got this. We always do."

After the opening ceremony, the first set of matches started with the warm-ups right away. In order to advance to the next round, Kurokishi needs to win 2 games in their subdivision. They were up against Hakuchō Academy first and their division was assigned to play at the sub-arena. In the schedule for the venue, since the sub-arena can't hold simultaneous matches, the Kurokishi and Hakuchō matchup was second on the list. Coach Shibasaki let the team watch the first half of the first game and then herded them to start their own warm-ups.

Miyako stood useless by the sidelines as she watched her teammates stretch. She wasn't even allowed to participate in the laps around the court. What am I even doing here then? Her eyes were fixed on her restless hands but she knew there were eyes on her. All she wanted to do was to return their stares with an offhand look of her own but she was feeling too dejected to even care about others at the moment.