Chapter Twenty-Three - Rovikian Queen

In the pitch-black tomb of the once great queen of Rovik, Aardriyah found the clarity she had been so longing for. Since the dreams started, since the robed figures began hunting her, since all the madness had erupted into her once simple and meaningless life. She knew she couldn't go back to that simplicity, to accepting she was nothing more than an unblessed daughter of Veros. No, now she had to accept that she was something much more, something much greater and had finally began to understand the power she had always held within her. In the silence, she found herself questioning where she would begin this new life, how she would find the strength to let go of simple desires and simple dreams. Although part of her felt alive for the first time in the last eighteen, almost nineteen years, she mourned for the part of her innocence she now had to let go of. After all, the weakness of it was completely useless now and would only serve to hinder her journey forth, wherever that may take her.

A single tear rolled down her cheek, making the slightest of noises as it hit the stone slab in front of her where the once great queen's caste had been shattered only moments earlier. As if in response, a loud churning noise began to rumble beneath the ground. The darkness of the room suddenly cast aside as Rachida took both of her palms and rose them in the air, creating large balls of firey light. Aardriyah stepped backwards, before realising that Kit was on the stone slab before her. As she reached to grab him, yelling his name in warning, the churning grew so loud, no other noise could be heard. The entire room was now shaking, debris and rocks falling free and covering them all in a layer of dust. Her eyes widened as she noticed the slab rising into the air, turning in an anti-clockwise motion as it did, pushed up by what now appeared to be several other black slabs creating a spiral staircase.

Old Man Teme reached forth and grabbed Aardriyah, holding her close to him as she screamed and reached tirelessly for Kit. There was no way he was going to make it - the spiral staircase was now almost at the ceiling. Yet, at that exact time as she felt sure her canine companion was destined for a crushing death, a large slit opened up, harsh sunset now streaming through to the below chamber.

Kit barked down to the party below, as if letting them know that he was safe and to follow him. Aardriyah looked at Rachida and Ven,

"Are you ok?" She asked timidly. Ven swallowed deeply before triumphantly responding,

"Completely fine!" Causing both Rachida and Aardriyah to snigger and smile in turn. Aardriyah finally found the strength to look at Old Man Teme, who had been watching over her silently.

"And you?" She asked. He nodded without saying a word in response.

Kit barked again, as if in an effort to speed them up.

Once they all reached the top of the staircase, they found themselves within what appeared to be an old throne room. It was decrepit, uninhabited for years as cobwebs made intricate patterns over every surface and dust covered tapestry in thick layers. At least, to Ven, Teme and Rachida this is how the room appeared. Aardriyah on the other hand wandered the room, mouth aghast as to the beauty of it. There were two thrones, both in immaculate condition shining silver with deep purple velvet pinback cushioning. She gasped as she made her way over to a table with an array of food laid upon it.