Chapter 9: Date Night?

It was currently 8:00 in the morning and you found yourself at the gym yet again. Practice was always early on the Saturdays, but that didn't mean you had to like it. In the beginning you thought that the manager had the easiest job on the team, but in reality it was one of the hardest. 

The equipment and bottles were simple enough to prepare and you were slowly learning more about strategies in volleyball. There were a few different attacks you had written out and you couldn't wait to try them.

Two days ago, you tied with Ushijima in the mile race. Word had made its way around to the coaches and even they were surprised. Luckily for you, they were proud someone had challenged the star player and their respect for you had grown.

"(L/N)-san, please, have a seat," Coach Saitō motioned for you to come over, "I noticed that recently the team has become more cohesive. Even Ushijima-kun has developed a sort of tolerance for you."

You raised an eyebrow at him, "Thanks? I-I think?" 

The coach turned towards the team on the court, "You know, Ushijima-kun might actually be performing better now that you've taken the spot as temporary manager. I think Coach Washijō realized this too, though he may be too stubborn to admit it."

"Do you think I'll be able to stay on the team?" It would be sad if you were asked to leave, but at least you made new friends. 

"We'll see, I for one wouldn't mind if you held this position." The coach smiled warmly at you before getting up to address the team.

After practice was over, you headed back to your dorm to change. It was around lunch time now and Oikawa was supposed to meet you at the café in two hours. Before you headed inside the building, you heard Tendou call your name.

"(L/N)-san! We were about to eat lunch. Why don't you come with us?"

You glanced at your phone and looked back up at the boys. There was a time if you wanted to grab a quick bite, but you decided against it. Even if this was just a casual hangout, you wanted to look your best.

"Sorry Tendou-san, I have to get ready for something. I'm meeting my friend in a little while."

"Friend? Aren't we your friends too?"

You giggled at his persistence, "Yes, you are all my friends, but this is a friend I haven't seen in a very long time."

Tendou sighed, he knew that you were referring to Oikawa since he and Ushijima overheard your conversation with him the other night. Shiratorizawa had played against Seijoh in past years and they were very familiar with the infamous setter. His hordes of fangirls made him impossible to miss.

"Okay, but you have to promise to meet us for dinner (L/N)-san!" Goshiki insisted.

"I promise, I'll see you all later!" You waved goodbye and raced to your dorm, leaving the team to talk among themselves. 

"Does that mean (L/N)-san has a boyfriend?" Shirabu questioned. 

Semi examined his fingernails before replying, "It's not like she'd want to go out with you Shirabu-san." 

The other third years burst into a fit of laughter, with the exception of Ushijima. They had to admit, you were attractive and definitely didn't go unnoticed. Unfortunately for Shirabu, he was once again at the butt of a joke. It wasn't his fault that you were hopelessly out of his league, but a guy can dream.

"Hey Wakatoshi-kun, why aren't you laughing? That was pretty funny!" Tendou turned to his best friend. He had the same look on his face as he did after you raced against him.