Chapter One

︵‿︵‿୨ ♡ ୧‿︵‿︵
CHAPTER ONE
THE GIFT

︵‿︵‿୨ ♡ ୧‿︵‿︵

JULIA HARTING KNEW THAT LIFE WASN'T FAIR. She wasn't stupid, not in the slightest. She knew more than most how unfair it could be. It wasn't hard to say that she hated, no despised, the circumstances life had handed her many years ago.

Her life was no longer filled with color, but with vague hues of darkness. Life had gone from being filled with brightness to pure and utter darkness in mere seconds. It was out of her control, there was nothing she or the doctors could do to fix it.

Her mothers continually supported her after the accident, and they made sure that she would be able to continue living her life, even if some things had to change. The once cluttered staircase that led to the second floor was now spotless to help make Julia's life easier.

The halls of the house were no longer lined with anything that could hurt the girl if she were left alone. Anne and Nicole Harting went out of their way to ensure that their home would be safe for their little girl. They knew she hated to be coddled, but it was the only way they could protect her in the world.

They would help her get ready every morning before dropping her off at school, where she would walk the halls with the hopes of not bumping into anyone on her way to class. She knew that there would always be a clear path for her in the halls once the student body heard the familiar click clack of her cane against the floor.

The halls of Beacon Hills High School parted like the red sea as she walked through them with her closest friend on her right side. Her left hand was wrapped around his bicep as he guided her through the hallway and toward their geometry class. The boy was talking about who was in the hallway and how his weekend was, especially after his neighbor was attacked by a wild animal at the Winter Formal.

"So you're telling me that she's at the hospital?" Julia asked, her voice filled with confusion. She turned her head so she could try to face Matt Doyle, her best friend. "And that a mountain lion attacked her?"

"Yeah," Matt replied. "I only saw her after she was attacked when Jackson carried her into an ambulance. She looked like she was on the brink of death."