Prologue: Shadow

WARNING: THIS STORY CONTAINS VARIOUS DARK THEMES!!! Including: SUICIDE AND MENTAL ILLNESS. DO NOT READ IF THESE TOPICS TRIGGER YOU!!! 

     A/N: If you are still here, just be prepared and I hope that you will... be intrigued by my story? I don't know I mean you probably won't feel happy reading this story but I just want to get this story out there. Don't hesitate to leave feedback and thank you so much for reading this story.

                                                                        Erwin's Pov

   I turn the key to the car's ignition off, stepping out of my car with my small amount of groceries. When I feel a burning gaze behind me, I freeze as if it were a T-Rex and I could make it not see me. I slowly turn around, "W-who's there?!" A small child pops out of the bushes with an expressionless face, "food..." 

"Umm, why don't you come inside?" I answer him cautiously

"Umm, why don't you come inside?" I answer him cautiously. He shakes his head furiously, "Trust no one." "Will you at least tell me your name? Will you be safe?" My voice overflows with concern for this child. "Levi... Who are you?" He asks. "Erwin... Please promise me you'll come back." He nods in agreement and points to the bag in my hand. I gently place it on the ground and enter my home. When I yank the curtains away, he's already gone.

                                                      *Weeks Later*                                                                                                                                                                    *Clink, Clink, Clink*

    I'm stirred from my slumber by rocks hitting my window. It's Levi and he brought a friend with him. I stumble into the kitchen to find them something when I notice I hadn't turned the slow cooker off from dinner with the chicken still inside. I take the last pieces of meat off the bone and pile it all on a plastic plate. I shut the door once I place it on my porch, leaving them with their privacy. Then, they disappeared into the night once again.

                                                                 *Months later*

     I hear crying outside of my door and crack it open to see Levi all alone, his face overflowing with tears. I pick him up and let him cry into my shoulder, "Hanji... she's gone! I can't find her! P-please help me find her!" "I will, but on one condition. You stay with me." I respond. "I-i promise, just please!" He continues to sob. After a few days of searching, I had discovered that Hanji had taken on the last name Zoe, she finally had a family that would take care of her. I broke the news to him as lightly as I could, but Levi steaming cauldron of rage, aggression, and deep sorrow in the days following. Nothing I did pleased him, he wanted to see his friend again. So, I located the address of her home and took him there, not before getting him dressed properly which he did not agree so easily. A loving couple answered Levi's insistent knocks on the door. "Where's Hanji?!" He demanded. "Mom, Dad? Who's there?" Hanji steps onto the porch and gasps in realization, "Oh my gosh LEVI!" She envelopes him in bear hug, squeezing the breath out of him. "H-hanji, you're choking me." he struggles in her grip. "Can you believe it?! I actually got adopted!" She exclaims in delight. "Yeah! You didn't even tell me! Do you know how worried i was?!" Levi glares at her. "I'm sorry..." She apologizes, her lip wobbling on the verge of crying. "Oh get over here." He hugs her. Then she bolts up from his shoulder, an idea popping into her head, "Why don't you get that guy to adopt you? Then we don't have to be alone anymore! We won't go hungry or be sad anymore!" "B-but Hanji!" He tries to protest. "I think that's a great idea." I place a hand on his shoulder. He frowns and turns away, "Fine, but there's no way i'm calling you my dad!" I smile, "That's okay, as long as you get to be my son." I ruffle his hair and carry him to the car, "Hey! LET ME GO!" 

                                                                          *Years Later*

     "Leeeeeeevvvvviiiiiiii!!!!!!!" Hanji greets her life long friend in the school hall. "What Four-Eyes?" Levi rolls his eyes. "Will you give me a snack pretty please?" She tries to act innocent. "No way in hell." He denies her. "WHAT?! But i'm your BFF!!" She whines. "No." Hanji cries at his response. 

                                                        And thus the tragic story begins...

     Levi and his best friend Hanji are now Juniors in Attack High School. Living the best student lives they could. Or so according to the enthusiastic female, completely oblivious to the destructive mind of her male partner she drags through life. As Hanji skips and jumps around her happy days, Levi is making plans for the most Important decision of his life. But what exactly is he planing so secretly and carefully? Will Hanji uncover it before it's already too late?