Beads

My snaggly fingernail catches against the table cloth. It's gotten awfully chipped, but I can't deal with that now or I'll forget my idea. freeing it from the fabric, I grasp at the heater, looking for my nose pliers that I was fairly sure I placed right there. Returning back to the big picture I stare at my desk. Uncoiled wire and string lay scattered across, ready to be used. Loose beads once neatly organised in a row now rolling on their sides. "Great, now I've forgotten the order of them. Did the crystal ones come before the black? No it went crystal, black, green, black, crystal-wait I thought I swapped out the green for yellow since it looked better."

Fixing my glasses, I search for the yellow bead, opening mason jars with charms and pendants and boxes filled with beads. Opening my mahogany box, I rummaged around finally finding the bead I was looking for. Lifting it to the sunlight I can't help but smile. It's yellow so inviting, like a gate into a field of dandelions .Holding it in the palm of my hands, its yellow so innocent, so unknowing of the world around. "Don't worry, i'll keep you safe", I mutter, setting it down on my little table. Rearranging the scattered beads I put them back in their order. "Let's see it went crystal, black, yellow, black and crystal. Placing them into order I look over them again. The black metallic looking beads gave a dramatic flair to the yellow, bringing out its hidden depth. The crystal beads on the other hand made the whole thing look a bit tacky, like it was trying too hard. Tossing the crystal beads back into the bead box for another time, I grab my pliers and my spool of wire and set them down on the table. Threading the wire through the beads, I make sure to leave as little space in between the beads as possible by vigorously tugging at the wire.

I grab my container of hooks and clasps and other materials. Picking up different chain options, I lay them out next to the beads. "Silver, gold and bronze. The gold gives it that nice yellow gold contrast, but the chain is quite cheap due to me believing in online amazon reviews". I mutter, rolling my eyes as I place the gold back in its container. "The silver does look really nice with it, making it look minimalist and innocent, and the bronze is meh so silver it is". Using the pliers, I wretch open the chain and connect it to the beads. Retrieving my container, I grab a hook and a jump ring. "The hooks are getting a bit low, can't wait until i get my other package with more of them", I think, returning back to work. Measuring the chain, I find the middle of it and disconnect it. Opening the jump ring I smoothly connect it to one side of the chain. Opening the other side of the chain, I connect the final part, the hook. Placing the necklace on its display I look at it with satisfaction.

It's those moments when I step back and look at it all fall in place that I know why I do this. To see my dreams become part of what I make. A dandelion field I dream to run through now hangs from my neck with so many others. And that's how I live my dreams, by making them a part of me to show the world what I can make. I can make dreams.

 I can make dreams

                  - Iman Rahman