9. Sweet Promises

A/N: It's getting late here, pardon any grammatical errors. I'll come back in the morning to check if there are some errors left. Thank you so much for reading this far, it meant a lot to me. 

Enjoy! (Revised 22/10/2020)

After we arrived at the airport, he guided me to the plane. This atmosphere reminded me of school study tour to Singapore last year. When Mama was still here. When Mama was still here. She accompanied me to the airport and hugged me before I took off.

I cried again due to the painful nostalgia. "Stef, can I go to the toilet for a moment?" I asked, sobbing. I wanted to cry to my heart's content in there until I feel strong enough to endure this wound, even though it will never heal completely. After all, if people see a child crying and next to a man dressed all in black it can raise some nonsense suspicions.

"Sorry Alessandra, but our time is running out. I'm afraid we'll get late," he took a handkerchief from his pocket and handed it over. "Use this. You can cry all you want on the plane." Why is he in such a hurry?

We passed the VIP entrance gate. Apparently, we were going to board a private jet. All my life, It never crossed my mind that I would fly in this. I took a deep breath and exhaled. Hopefully this will be a sign of my new life where I would live free from any difficulty of any kind. I wished.

After the plane took off, I looked out the window. This plane passed through  clouds that look like thin cotton. Roofs of the buildings were visible below layers of clouds. Did I act like plebs? Yes, but I don't care. When I was on a study tour to Singapore, I got a seat on the aisle and I didn't taste the luxury of seeing the view outside the plane.

After this, will I finally be able to meet my siblings? if so, what would they think of me? this got me nervous. But before that, I have to get confirmation from Stef about them. Cal has already said that I have older brothers, but there is one more thing that hasn't yet come to light. I pondered and chalked up words to start this conversation with Stef. First, starting from:

"Stef, do I have siblings?"

He closed the magazine he was reading. His eyes stared at me sharply for a split second, then reopened the magazine that was placed on his lap. I don't know what he was thinking with such a gaze. I also did not miss to see his left hand which got clenched after he heard my question.

"You do." He answered without taking his eyes off the magazine. Oh so I do really have brothers. Now is the time to get to the point.

"Then why didn't they pick me up?"

He closed the magazine and put it on the table, now all his attention was on me. His light brown eyes looked at me without any pity. One of his eyebrows raised.

"Because they don't care about you. Why do you think you're so far apart from them? They dumped you, Alessandra. For them, you're just a mere burden. It would be quite troublesome to protect you from their rivals if they try to get to them. That's why they chose to avoid problems by removing the root of it."

Upon hearing this blunt statement, I felt like something punched my stomach. Those words were like a bomb that was dropped to blow up the mental defenses I had built up. No wonder they haven't contacted me, or even help us when we were in trouble. So this is why. I am nothing more than a troublesome burden that's better off to get rid of.

"I'm sorry, maybe I said it too frankly for you. But I can't spoil you with sweet lies. I can't afford to give you empty hopes that only kill you slowly. I have to be honest on what exactly happened just the way it is, even though the truth is too painful," he added calmly, as if didn't care about the effect it had on me.