47. COME HOME - ✭DENVER✭

I play that final night in my mind as I work my fists on the bag in front of me. There they are, so beautiful, laying in bed together. Malyssa is pregnant with Luke's baby and I'm on the outside. I see it all, all over again, for the millionth time in the last month and a half.

Malyssa's angry words replay in my head, telling me she never wants to see me again. After I told her I wasn't coming back she cried. Then she'd begged me to come back to Vegas and Mal never begged anyone for anything. I'd told her I wouldn't because I couldn't do that to them. I know Malyssa doesn't give a fuck about anyone's opinions, just like me, but our mutual love for a certain someone made us have to give a fuck. I don't know if she understood or not because she hung up on me after those final hurtful words.

Once I've finally exhausted myself I begin unwrapping my fists. I hear my friend Aaron say, "hey man, you heard Tony is selling the place today?" I look around the gym that's basically a run down shit show and quirk a brow at him. "I know, right? Who in their right mind would ever want to buy this place?"

"I have no idea." I answer honestly. "The place needs a lot of work. I don't know who'd be interested in all of that. There's a lot of competition around here too. Why not invest in a better place?" He shrugs.

"Heard the guy was some big-shot from Vegas or something." My heart stops then stutters inside my chest. "There he is right now. That guy doesn't even look like a fighter or even knows anything about fighting. That suit probably costs more than the entire fucking gym."

When I look in the direction Aaron is, a deep longing spreads throughout my body. Aaron is wrong, Luke knows how to fight, just not in the way we do. He's currently chatting with Tony, looking extremely formal compared to the sweatsuit Tony is wearing. He shakes his hand and then turns in my direction.

When Luke spots me he pauses and for the briefest of moments I can see he feels exactly like I do. He holds my gaze for only a second more, giving me nothing else, before turning and leaving the building. I don't fucking think so. He's going to explain why he's here; here and buying this dump.

"I'll see you later." I say to Aaron as I quickly gather my things.

"Alright, man. See you." I give him one last nod before I head for the exit.

Once I'm outside, amongst the midst of people, I look around. I spot his tall body retreating toward a black town car. "Luke!" I shout his name but he doesn't stop. "Luke!" Nothing. I yell out a few more times but he doesn't turn and something about that hurts because I know that he can hear me. He can hear me but he doesn't want to talk to me.

I push myself forward but not in enough time and I watch as the car pulls out into traffic, driving away from me.

✩✩✩

Glaring at my empty bed from my place on the couch, anger begins pulling at my insides. I stare at my phone debating calling either one of them. I take a sip of the whiskey in my hand instead but whiskey just reminds me even more of Mal. I swirl the liquid around thinking about how Mal can't even drink whiskey right now.

I push myself out my chair after I finish my glass, planning to refresh my drink, when I hear a knock at my door. I place it down on the counter and then check the peephole to see a fair-haired male standing on the other side. I let out a deep breath before opening it.

"Luke."

"Denver." He's still in the suit he was wearing earlier. He looks me up and down. "You never wear a shirt, do you?" I feel a smirk tug at my lips and shake my head no. "Are you going to invite me in or are you going to leave me out here in the hallway?"