CHAPTER TEN

This one's nice and long. Sit back with your favorite drink and cozy pillow and Enjoy!!

 Tears trickled down my cheeks. "I understand" I managed to croak. He pushed me one last time against the mirror. I screamed in pain.

I grasped for breath. "Anne! Wake up! Are you okay?" voices filled the air. I jumped awake. "Anne you were having a nightmare. You were screaming" Jason told me. Roger rushed inside. 

"what happened?" he asked, his voice full of concern. "a nightmare. I haven't had one of those since the past five years." I said after comprehending the situation. I rubbed my eyes and held my head in my hands.

 Why? How? This cannot be happening to me again. Now they'll want to know more. I cannot lie to them anymore. "Anne, drink." Jason instructed, handing me a glass of water.

"guys I am fine. Go back to sleep please." I assured them. After knowing that I felt better, Roger headed back to his room. Jason turned the lights back off and we decided to sleep. I turned to my side and Jason held me from behind. 

"Jason, I am so sorry. I never meant for any of this to happen." "shush. I know baby. Sleep. You need your rest." He whispered. Within seconds I could hear Jason snoring lightly.

 "They need to know the truth. What happened was the past. It's over now. It will never be repeated." I thought to myself as I drifted off into a confused sleep.

Morning broke. The boys weren't up yet. I decided to go for a quick jog to clear my head. I slipped on pair of running shorts and a t-shirt and threw on some Fila's. I wrote a quick note saying that I went for a jog and will be back in forty-five minutes. I stuck it onto Jason phone, because I knew that's the first thing he'll check. 

I slipped my phone in my arm band and I let the Backstreet Boys blare in my earphones. Milkmen to dog-walkers, I spotted each and every one of them. I knew that the truth about my past would come out someday or the other. Might as well be today. before leaving for Melissa's funeral, I had to tell them what had happened.

Keeping a secret eats you up alive. It's important someone knows what you are going through. A friend, a sibling, a parent or even a teacher. This helps in lightening up your burden. Melissa was my best friend and secret keeper. Five years ago, she sensed something was wrong with me. eventually, I broke down in front of her. Talking to her mom, my therapist, helped me a lot. Katherine guided me through the years. It was because of them, I managed to pull through the abuse that happened to me years back.

Melissa was Roger's girlfriend. It must have been extremely hard keeping things from him, especially when it was about me, one of his best friends. Jason is the love of my life. He deserved to know that happened. I stopped to catch my breath and check my watch. Thirty minutes had passed by quicker that I thought. I found myself in front of our local Starbucks, so I decided to pick up some coffee for the three of us.

"hi. Could I have one cinnamon latte and two cappuccinos please." I told the barista. "that will six dollars please." I paid the barista the money and collected my orders. I turned around and bumped into someone. 

"I am so sorry." I apologized quickly. The person turned around. "Anne! You're up early!" Katherine Pane met my eyes. "yeah. I wanted to clear my head. I decided to go for a run." I replied.

"wanna sit down with me for a few minutes?" she asked. "sure." I said. Once we were seated at a table, I asked her, "how have you been holding up? is there any way I could help you with anything related to the funeral?" 

"I'm okay. Holding on. I just hope the funeral goes smoothly" she said sadly. "don't worry. It will." I said with a sad smile. "so, what's actually going on huh?" she asked staring at me intently. I filled her in on what happened yesterday.