Chapter 32

VICTOR'S POV

"So Arion and Skye are dating now? Just like that?" Avril nodded excitedly.

"Apparently they met up yesterday after we went shopping, and those idiots finally confessed their feelings to each other."

Avril and I were laying on my bed. It was around midnight, but Avril had come over so excited about her friend, and I'd been curious too, so it was all we'd been able to talk about.

Avril was lying, her head on the pillow, while I was looking at her thoughtfully, my elbow on the pillow holding my head up.

"Well, I may have had something to do with that." I said thoughtfully as Avril looked at me, eyes laughing.

"What do you mean?" She asked, smirking.

"Well, yesterday I told Arion that Skye liked him. It must have gotten through to him." Avril laughed.

"Well who knew you could be such a good matchmaker? Jade's been trying to hook them up for 2 months now." It was my turn to laugh.

"That sounds like Jade." She chuckled, shaking her head.

"You have no idea. It's like Jade lives off romance. I wonder what she'll do when we'll all be dating someone?" She said wondering.

"I don't think that'll ever happen, but you can bet it's Jade's biggest dream." Avril snorted.

"Alright, well it's getting late. We should probably be going to sleep, before we wake up your neighbour."

"Good call." I laughed as I properly laid down and Avril turned off the light.

---------------

It was 4AM when I suddenly woke up, feeling Avril particularly agitated besides me.

"Avril?" I whispered, turning around to make sure she was ok.

She was sweating, her breathing had quickened, and her eyebrows were furrowed worriedly.

"Colton... no... Shawn..." she mumbled as she shivered.

I sighed sadly as I recognised the nightmare she was having. The day of Colton's death. Ever since our game against the Alpine, she'd had it less frequently, but I still woke up sometimes in the middle night, having to calm her down.

"Avril." I gently nudged her arm. "Avril, you're alright. It's all over now. Everything's fine."

After some more mumbling nonsense, her breathing finally slowed down again, and her face relaxed as she went back to sleeping peacefully.

I smiled sadly as I watched her sleep. I hated when she had these nightmares. It made me feel so useless, as if there was nothing I could do. I wanted to protect her at all cost, and I had a hard time accepting there were some things I just couldn't save her from.

I didn't take my eyes off of her, wanting to make sure she was fine, and her sleeping silhouette putting me at peace. She looked so much more relaxed when she was sleeping, and that made my heart beat a little faster. It was the only time where you couldn't see the pain her big green eyes hid.

Wait. Something sounds familiar. Where have I heard this before?

My eyes widened in horror as Arion's words from the day before echoed through my head.

"I don't really know how to explain it... I like looking at her, she makes me feel safe and happy. I'd do anything to protect her. Every time she's in trouble, I want to help her so bad.

To sum it up... if Skye showed up at my house in the middle of the night, I'd let her crash over."

No. It wasn't possible. Did I... actually have a crush on Avril?

I quickly ran to the bathroom, opening the water and washing my face with freezing water. It was just a thing of the moment, right?

But as I looked at myself in the mirror, everything became clearer and clearer. Our night excursions. The way my heart ached every time I knew I had to betray her. The curiosity. The warmth. The lingering need to protect her. The countless nights spent together.

I couldn't lie to myself in the mirror:

I had a crush on Avril Karasu.

---------------
AVRIL'S POV

As I lazily opened my eyes, I was reassured to feel Victor's warm body next to mine. I'd felt him go to the bathroom in the middle of the night, and I'd fallen back to sleep before his return.

I silently stood up, legs still laying in front of me, as I looked at Victor sleeping, a little smile on my face. He looked peaceful, snoring from time to time, as his blue hair covered some of his face.

I smiled, suddenly feeling very warm inside. It was crazy how Victor made me feel safe just by looking at him. Feeling a sudden urge, I pushed his hair out of the way and planted a small kiss on his cheek.

I turned bright red as I stood up from the bed, Victor still sleeping. Why had I done that? I hadn't exactly planned it, I'd just given in to a sudden feeling.

Wait. Something sounds familiar. Where have I heard this before?

I turned my head to Victor, eyes widening in horror, as Jade's words echoed through my head.

"When you're in love... you look at that person and you suddenly feel warm and fuzzy inside, and you have this urge to kiss them and snuggle with them."

No. Jade couldn't be right. Did I... actually have a crush on Victor?

No. No I didn't. He was just a really nice friend.

I tried to convince myself, but as I got lost in Victor's blue hair, it became harder and harder to deny it. It all made sense. The warmth. The curiosity. The pain I'd feel every time he betrayed me. The hugs. The countless nights spent at his house. The kiss.

I turned around, eyes still wide, as I stared at the wall in front of me. I couldn't lie to myself anymore. I had a crush on Victor.

"Hey, you ok?" I jumped, startled, as Victor's raspy morning voice mumbled behind me.

"Hey." I tucked my hair behind my ear turning around, blushing a little. "Yeah, I'm ok. I'm gonna go."

Victor opened his eyes slightly to look at the alarm clock on the nightstand.

"It's only 6AM. You could stay for another 45 minutes." He sleepily mumbled closing his eyes again.

"No, I just remembered I forgot to do something... I have to go. I'll see you at school, ok?" I quickly grabbed my stuff as Victor nodded, going back to sleep. I couldn't stay anymore. I had too much to think about.

I basically ran out of Victor's apartment, almost crashing into one of his neighbours. I only stopped when I was at the port, breathing the fresh air of the morning.

I liked Victor. As more than a friend.